Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I never said to not get your gun fitted, I simply said it isn’t the first step to becoming a proficient shooter. IMO, the fundamentals of movement are much more important, gun fit is the last piece to the puzzle to tie everything together.

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Seeing as how part of my living is derived from teaching people how to shoot, yes I do understand why. Just like I understand that many of the things you hear over and over simply are old school and not the most effective methods of teaching or shooting anymore. Shooting has evolved a lot over the years as people have delved more into the science of what works consistently. Have a conversation about shooting with guys like David or Anthony Matarese and it will open your eyes to just how cerebral they are in dissecting everything that goes into shooting a shotgun.

3. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Trevor,
    I understand what you’re saying however shooting a shotgun hasn’t changed over the past ~175 years. You still have to point it to where the target is headed so that the shot cloud intersection is coordinated. The Brits, as a group are arguably the best wing shots on the planet take gun fit as job one. It won’t supplant God given natural ability but enhance it. Case in point, if gun fit was irrelevant all the world’s top shooters would be using Mossberg pump guns.

BTW, people that know what they know, and they know it don’t feel compelled to talk down to people. That behavior is a classic sign of insecurity.

4. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I don't know where you have been these last few years but after listening to podcasts from Faulds and Digweed both agreed that the Americans, as a group are much better shooters.

Granted, the basic premise is to put a shot cloud on the target. However, techniques have changed quite a bit. Targets in sporting clays has evolved drastically over the last 10 years and the old techniques were no longer as effective. New techniques have emerged to tackle the ever changing presentations we are encountering. Rabbues, 70's, upside down targets, water rabbits/battues. With the newer traps, we are seeing more speed and curl than ever before.

Perfect Gunfit is a very subjective thing. There are varying degrees of fit. There is way more to it then LOP and drop at the comb. There is grip fit like diameter of the wrist, distance to the trigger, palm swell, etc. Basically you want comfort and no pressure points creating a cant in the gun when it comes to the grip. Pitch is important but its more of a comfort thing. Shape and length of the forearm. With that said most shooters can get by with "close enough" and do pretty well. I get a chuckle every time I hear someone say they closed their eyes and mounted the gun and saw straight down the rib. Then declare it "fits like a glove". Lots of homegrown gunfiters out there.