Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Trust me if Gil had won something, you would know about it.

bill cooksey likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Like 99.9% of journalist who write articles pertaining to most sports ,it's a relay of information that they heard from someone , in his case it's Vickie !
    If the teaching method they use helps you , it's a good one but most just can't help everyone ? You have to find a coach who can get into your hard head !
    The Ash's have made a life-long living out of clay target shooting instructions , you gotta to give them that ?

3. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn’t consider him a great teacher either. He can’t teach a beginner the basics, that’s about it.

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

And, I always thought you just pointed the shotgun to where the target was going.

I want to take lessons from Sir George Digweed’s instructor.

5. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Poor gun mount in the heat of the moment is my undoing. I have been working on it and improving. For me and my style, even when I have a good cheek weld to the stock.If my nose isn't brushing the stock it usually a miss or just the edge of the pattern depending on how the target is approaching me. I'm looking down the side of the rib a touch vs centered up on it. I've practicing with my trap thrower raising and mounting the gun. Getting ready to practice a little more here shortly going to go out and try and pop a few rabbits kicking the brushpiles with my neighbor
    J

6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

I agree with right handed shooters having their feet pointing at least 45 degrees to the right!

I am right handed and I call coyotes quite a bit with a shotgun and learned a long time ago to set up with my feet to the right of me e-caller.

Now that I am 68 years old and a lot less limber than I used to be I set up closer to 90 degrees to the right sometimes because when I am laying down or sitting down I can't swing to the right hardly at all.

I can still shoot Skeet and Sporting Clays half way decent because I know where the targets are going and I am standing on a hard flat surface, but when I am hunting quail, chukar and standing in the mud duck hunting I don't even gets shots off on birds that I would have easily killed 10 to 55 years ago. LOL

Meach, dog duck gun and Out of focus like this.
  7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Have you taken a class from him?

JP likes this.
  8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Those who cannot do, teach.

Socrates

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I don’t need to, I’ve seen his videos and there isn’t a single top level shooter that he has taught.

I would much rather spend my money with somebody like David or Anthony Matarese, who has proven their technique works with their own performance and performances from their students, than with somebody who I was consistently putting up higher scores than when I was still in C class.

10. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Someone isn't doing their 3 bullet drills...:dv

GulfCoast, Tuleman and JP like this.