Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You could define "top shooter" any way you want to support your argument.
    I could do the same.

Hmmm...haven't you made my point, Trevor? ...that a person does not necessarily have to be a Champion shooter to be an effective shooting coach/teacher ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. Tuleman

If you've been doing something for 50 years, it means you actually know how to do it.
    It may not be the best way to do it, but you do know how to get it done. Obviously.

Now, attempting to do something (for 50 years) and doing something for fifty years are two very different things.

3. Tuleman

Agree, 100%; the incoming overhead is by far my easiest shot.

Now, you're sounding like one of those coaches I mentioned a few posts back. :yes

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Somebody consistently putting up scores in the top 10% of registered shoots.

No I didn’t make your point, as I don’t consider him to be an effective coach. The disconnect in our arguments is that you consider him a great teacher, and I only consider him a great self promoter.

5. Tuleman

Fair enough.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

It is a timing shot, as the bird is not visible when you pull the trigger. Start behind the bird on a straight line and pull it through the bird, and once it dissapears, pull the trigger, but keep the gun moving. I'll watch a lot of guys stop immediately and they never connect with the bird. Practice makes perfect.

George Digweed agrees with you. In one of his instructional videos, he says that foot position is the most important thing in wingshooting. Interesting observation.

Mack270 and Tuleman like this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Like Warren , having plenty of targets to shoot at is the best for gaining experience ! Shooting good is determined by conditions , whether it's weather or
    lighting or temperature ! There's a big difference shooting standing in mud or water , lying on your back or kneeling , if you can't position yourself so you'll have
    maximum rotation at your hips with your upper body , you'll lock-up , just like Warren says . Good shooters will always position their feet / body as a pre-shot
    routine as they are mounting the gun ! Good Waterfowlers are always thinking ahead as birds are coming to the shot , what needs to be done , for successful
    shooting . Most Good wing-shooters use the Pass-Though method but those of us who have shot a lot of birds , will also use a Maintain-lead .

Tuleman likes this.
  8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Having a college athlete child and having gone through that journey together as parents, the value of proper instruction in technique cannot be overstated. However, the level of God given natural talent makes the ultimate difference especially when coupled with a healthy dose of humility.

Meach and Tuleman like this.