Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Digweed is a phenomenon. His eyesight was way beyond other shooters in his prime. His chosen method is swing thru and he is the only guy at the top of the game to master in the way he did. But I can tell you with certainty he employs other methods when push come to shove. Its just that his default method is swing thru. So Don't get hung up on methods.

I avoid swing thru if I can. I don't like to chase birds/targets. It relies too much on timing and when your timing is off a bit or you encounter tournament pressure, you are going to struggle. Instead I'm always trying to match the speed in front of the bird/target. It gives me a better opportunity to get good focus on the bird/target. I want to really control the speed of the gun/target before pulling the trigger.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Something else that could hamper the way you shoot ? It would be wise to stay within a 100 fps in your shell choices ? Gaining experience with seeing
    a Sight-Picture of the gap needed , something you only acquire with trigger time ! Using a velocity in a shell that stays relatively close to the same speed
    allows the mind to picture that forward allowance more accurately ! Mostly distance judging is the culprit for poor shooting , those who estimate distance
    better , are typically , better shooters .

I agree with experience of seeing that Gap one can be more successful with
    his/her timing of the shot but make no mistake about it , estimating distance
    plays a lot into it ! There's a big difference between a 50 yd slow target than
    a 35 yd fast target ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Oh I know how its supposed to be done I just can't make myself do it! My mind won't let me take my eyes off the bird. Give me the same shot but slightly off either side, more of a high crosser, and I'm good.

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

The key is flipping your eyes and looking “through” your barrel to maintain focus on the bird.

5. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

When I started shooting Sporting Clays I was using the swing through method for leading targets. I learned to shoot the swing through method hunting birds and shooting Trap and Skeet.

It didn't take long for me to see that the swing through method wasn't working good for me on dropping targets and on chondel type targets. Over a few years I ended up buying five different videos with instructions by Gil Ash, Andy Duffy, Antony Martarese, George Digweed and Dan Carlisle.

I did learn a few things that helped me from each one of these videos. I liked Andy Duffy's Fitasc video and Dan Carlisle's Sporting Clays video more than the other 3 videos.

Most of the Sporting Clays teachers say that the swing though method is not a good way to lead targets and that is how George Digweed does it.

Anthony Martarese kept saying on his video over and over to concentrate 100% on the target, look for the rings on the target or the front edge of the target. With my vision I am happy if I can see the targets. It would have to be a very close and slow target with the sun at my back for me to see the rings on it. LOL

I am pretty sure that all of the great shotgun target shooters have better vision than most of the shooters out there.

In 2004 I went back to San Antonio, Texas to shoot in the National Championship just to experience it. I was lucky that Anthony Martarese was shooting in the squad behind me for all 4 days of the main event. When Anthony saw me miss a target he would say your in front or your behind or your under it etc and that helped me break quite a few more targets.

When I shoot Sporting Clays I have to tell myself during my pre-shot routine how I need to shoot the second shot on doubles. If I don't tell myself how to shoot the second shot I will use a swing through lead on it when I should use a pull away lead.

dog duck gun likes this.
  6. Ravenanme

You know the gap you use , at that distance ( any distance ) you see at a crossing bird ? That's the same gap you need for one , directly overhead !
    You just feel it as the barrel blocks your view . I try not to let incomes get that close as about a 60 degree angle with the bird just under the barrel , a
    slight gap is all that's needed , most of the time ! You still got to keep the gun moving !! :yes:tu

WillFish50 likes this.
  7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

If I can take the bird to the side at all, I will pivot my feet and take the bird off to the side, waiting for it to come within a comfort zone (body not twisted out of shape) , and try to take the shot(s) while I can still pivot into a proper lead. I find that if I continue my lead on each shot, if I miss, then I can quickly make a correction to take the bird. (I think there is one in the same video I posted earlier, miss the canvasback on the first shot, then connect on the pair with the last two shots quickly). If truly an overhead shot, you just have to be confident you can swing through it .

8. Ravenanme

All I can say is when I was shooting a lot of competitions along with my pigeon exterminations , I didn't miss much ! Reloading most of a Ton of shot
    plus the factory ammo I purchased along the way kept me pretty well entuned to my wing shooting . With a good fitting gun and ammo with a reasonable
    velocity , trigger time gives you the site-picture of the forward allowance needed once you understand the line of the target . Waterfowl being so much
    larger than a clay target will often make you lazy with your swing-through so focusing on the head of the bird , will dial you in better . A birds speed of
    flying can't compete with a shot cloud traveling at over 800 mph but if you don't stay in front of it , with a good follow through , you'll miss every time .
    A lot of misses are caused by Peeking , once you're locked into your mount as you find the line of the bird , stay down on the stock through the shot .
    Peeking to see the bird fold is a cause for shooting over the target , if not some of the pattern but all of it ! Remember , where the eyes go , the gun will follow !
    I use the method of focusing on the spot of the lead for a maintained lead , it also gives me the picture ( in my mind ) of the Gap , with a Pass-Through
    method , when needed ! Seeing and reading the angle of the target comes with time , elevation changes can fool you , just like a bird when it's back-peddling
    into the decoys ! Read the line as you mount the gun and good things will happen !

JFG and Dr Swane like this.
  9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

How many times does one miss, because the barrel got in the way?

10. Ravenanme

If you try checking where the barrel is as you lead the target , you'll Miss behind ! That fraction of a second , you take your eyes off the target , will
    put you more than a patterns width behind it ! Commit to making a Hard Focus on the lead-edge of the target , then , with your eyes , move out in front
    seeing the GAP you think will work ! You'll get better at it as the more trigger time you put into it , it becomes easier to be more confident with your shot .
    Just saying