Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The whole game changes big time when you put a tree between you and the target so that the target doesn't see you.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

That pretty well how I do my shot. I was visualizing my lead/gap on a few geese that were flying over this morning while setting coyote traps.
    J

3. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Maybe I'll get better but I don't know how to look at the leading edge of anything (bird or clay). I'm just trying to lock my eyes onto the object and insert somewhere ahead of the bird. When it feels right, the brain sends a signal to the trigger finger to pull the trigger. It all happens subconsciously. If I allow the conscious mind work out the forward allowance all sorts of bad stuff happens.

Conscious thought works great when it only has one thing to do, like working out a math problem but it stinks when multiple actions need to occur in unison. If my mechanics are all working properly I can usually connect

4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Why don't you just come out and say you think focusing on the leading edge is BS?

Even with my poor vision I can do it and I haven't shot a clay since 2003. As a kid I was taught that the head is the weakest place on any game so it just comes natural.

5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Teach us what a world champion says when he misses.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Why don't you ask George?

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

You might die of old age first... I don't think George misses! I watched a crow hunting video on YouTube one time, I think it was a sporting writer of some kind interviewing him while he shot crows. He said George was gonna shoot first and when he missed the interviewer would get to shoot. At the end he had killed like 80 some crows and the other guy said he never touched his gun!

Farm4wildlife and JP like this.
  8. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I can't say what other people can see or not see. All I can say with certainty is that I focus on the entire object. Whether its a dove at 40 yards or a midi target on edge at 40 yards, I'm locked on the whole object. I can't seem to section off a portion of the target and hold that in focus exclusively. I've done pretty fair regardless.

9. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

In sporting clays, Stand closely behind someone and observe their barrel/target. Because you’re not on the gun, you can see the shot, at times, and see if their break is in front, or behind. Assess their distance and noted lead on the clay.

shotkam put out a video demonstrating foot distance lead for 20, 30, and 40 yard shots. It’s another tool to help make visual judgement on targets.

JFG likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I sure enjoy watching Derrick or Rick shoot targets , it's a fluid motion with their pass-through method , the short time it takes them to match the speed
    of the target and the move to that forward allowance that puts them right on the target ! These fellas are Champions (World Champions) and once you get
    to know them , they're very helpful with ones shooting . I believe their Attitude in coaching or helping someone with a problem , is what makes them so
    good as everyone is rooting for them . Even Zach says they are phenomenal wing shots but all I can attest to is their ability at the ZZ/pigeon ring !
    And they Both say , focus on the lead-edge of the target ( Bird or Clay ) and allow your sub-conscious (experience) to acquire the lead !
    99% of us are still working on it !