Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I do that quite often when I'm giving lessons. Not necessarily looking for the shot string but looking to see whether they are in front or behind. Then evaluate what is causing them to miss the target. Suggest the correction and get them breaking the target with consistency.

Dr Swane likes this.
  2. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I know Derrick very well and he doesn't use pull thru. He is mostly using maintained with some pull away.

Trevor Shannahan and Ravenanme like this.
  3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yeah everyone in the shooting sports knows these two fellas ! Getting pointers from either one is appreciated , true Champions !
    Knowing when and how to use the different methods surely is in their repertoire ! I still go by what they have told me , focus on the lead edge !
    I'll just stay with what works . :yes:tu

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I was about to say, I know what Derrick teaches and it certainly isn’t pull through. He inserts on the lead, matches speed, and pulls the trigger, same as most good shooters. The only real difference in the top shooters is how long it takes them to feel that connection. Some are quick, some ride it out a bit more.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would agree, except for some older shooters, who still know wrong when they see it... But do not have the physical ability anymore...

Ravenanme likes this.
  6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

They must be terribly old, because there are still plenty of old guys tearing it up on the NSCA circuit.

Ravenanme likes this.
  7. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

#522XXX tell you something ? There are other shooting venues I enjoy where some really good shooters compete !

8. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

Billy Bob likes this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

My experience as well. Using sustained lead I start measuring and thinking, IMO the worst enemy of a shotgunner.

The last season I shot clays, 17 years ago, I had the worst shooting success I've ever had in the field. The reason? Clay shooting made me think too much when I would miss a shot. If I miss a bird I just shoot another shot right away without thinking. I'm in no way saying people shouldn't practice but for me it hurt my success in the field. If I set down the gun at the end of season and don't touch it until opening day I can pick up right where I left off. I can live with anything less than 12 shells for a 7 bird limit.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The Churchill Method still works for lots of us.