Wingshooting Lessons From a World Champion

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Trevor Shannahan, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Most thankfully. Even "butt, bill, boom" taxes my simple mind to distraction.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Ive shot so many birds that I do not think at all.
    Think=miss every time.
    I have video evidence of me missing twice on same duck. :)

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

With the Cone of the shot column getting larger , the farther the distance , these 3 methods of performing the shot also teaches you how to understand
    your misses ! Naturally , most shooters don't know "How they Missed" but , utilizing the right method for different presentations allows you to correct your
    shot ! All 3 methods are predicated on your ability to be consistent with a good gun mount , with this mount , the gun follows the eyes ! That's why it is
    so important to have a gun fitted to you . You would have a better idea of , what you need in a gun fit , if you would read how a gun fit was accomplished !
    A good Stock fitters book would be like Jeff Meloys (understanding shotgun stocks for better shooting) . For a Wingshooter the basic concepts of GUN fit
    should be your first goal to achieve .

4. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

I still believe gunfit to be overrated except to become one of the top of the top shooters. The average shooter misses because of bad mechanics and inconsistent mounts, not gun fit.

Heck, I was shooting a borrowed Krieghoff for a 20 gauge event today set for a guy who is center vision. My head wasn’t on the stock at all, still shot fairly well (42/50) and even tied him with his own gun. It felt weird as crap, but all you have to do is look at the target hard and your gun will follow.

Aunt Betty and Ravenanme like this.
  5. Ravenanme

You would have a better concept of what I said , "IF" , you would read my last sentence over , over , over and over !
    I assume you're not on the leader board either ? I'll keep trying !

6. Trevor Shannahan

It’s a major shoot, I’m not on the leaderboard at those even with my gun that’s fit to me. How many times were you at the top of the leaderboard at major events? My point was that it’s more the shooter than gun fit, the gun fit is the last piece of the equation to take your shooting the final step. The fundamentals in movement are much more critical to successfully hitting your target.

7. Ravenanme

Don Currie and the Ash's would certainly disagree with you ! I to was hesitant until Dale Tate fitted mine . I play for cash not trophy's

8. Trevor Shannahan

There are a lot of things I and plenty of other much better shooters than me would disagree with Don Currie and the Ash’s about.

Gun fit is the last piece to the puzzle of consistency in your shooting. You can’t figure out what gun fit you want, until you’ve learned the fundamentals of movement and what mount is comfortable to you. Finding a sight plane that works for you is also something different to each individual. That all is needed before fitting a gun to you.

If gun fit was so critical, why can people shoot so well off of the hip, over the head, behind the back, etc???

5 stand likes this.
  9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

For those not familiar....The Churchill Method

Robert Churchill, being brought up in the family business of his Uncle Edward (E.J.Churchill) and shooting on the grouse moors and driven game estates of England from an early age, naturally understood, practiced and promoted this simple instinctive method. When combined with a properly fitting gun and, most importantly, the correct gun mounting technique of aligning the eye with the rib of the barrels (the extended finger), this method proved to be consistently effective when shooting all forms of game birds and rabbits.

As Churchill states repeatedly, “A shotgun is a weapon of movement. You must swing on to the bird, trust the unerring ability of the eye to make the necessary forward allowance and leave it to the gun to do the rest! Train the eye and front hand to take charge of these matters and learn their job without brain interference!”

Which really sums up what we refer to as the “instinctive method.” I guarantee that all of you who upland hunt with your dog in the field, the bird you most often hit is the one that gets up without any warning and surprises you. That’s the one you don’t think about, the one you shoot instinctively, the one you just “point at!” As opposed to the bird you most hate, which is the one that gets up some 30 yards away, flying across or towards you, and gives you far too much time to start thinking about the response you are going to have to make to cleanly shoot it. And worst of all, asking yourself the question, “How much lead do I give it?” That’s when you start measuring and riding the bird.

In Churchill’s style, there is no question of trying to compute muzzle movement, forward allowance, or any other complicated matters. All he asks the shooter to do is look at the bird and by correct gun mounting, shoot naturally. Without constraint or effort, you are making contact with and shooting at the bird, but subconsciously over throwing (swinging on) a little and so giving compensation for flight time. In that way, you are successfully completing what in any other terms would be a complicated mathematical problem.

Leave your calculator at home. The Churchill method is about economy of movement and elegant, efficient gun mounting. Because the swing is based on our natural ability to point, the mount and the movement, though appearing visually slow, are actually highly efficient. With the flat, diagonal converging approach (which gives the visual impression of shooting directly at the target), it’s the increasing momentum of the moving gun (the barrels) that naturally achieves the lead. So as the comb of your stock comes up under your cheekbone and the butt reverses back into your shoulder pocket, that’s the moment you simple squeeze the trigger.

JP likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

:clap:clap:clap Yep and the other 2 methods of Maintained lead and Spot shooting a target has to be in your repertoire to be a Champion Clay target shooter !
    There again , a Wingshooter who also understands these methods , will naturally use one when the time comes . I know I do when it comes to ZZ Birds
    as well as Flyers or Long Shot contest in my area :yes :tu
    And Yes , it ALL Starts with a good ......GUN FIT !

Tuleman likes this.