Winter 20/21 Fun

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Well, first hunt of the December Moon tonight.

Went and did one stand. Figured a “throw away” that has never been successful would be a good place to start.

Set up, looked though the scope thought... “this might work but it’s probably a bad idea. Should probably wait. I did drive all the way here through...

30 seconds in, owls start screeching... 3min in Owl attacks the call... comes and sits directly above my head in the pine tree... 5min in a second owl attacks the call.

7min in.... a blur, but what the h3ll is that? Both Owls now going completely ballistic... Scope.... dog just barely identifiable coming at a trot, 200yds out... can’t see him and the cross hairs at the same time. One or the other.... try to zoom in, just make it worse... loose him in the contours of the field.... I never saw him after that.... and he actually circled up wind of me not down... Hard to say if he’s been educated or not as I don’t think he saw or smelled me. Just didn’t like getting molested by the owls.

His tracks were inside my tracks on the way back to the truck.

That’s what you get for going when you probably shouldn’t.

All the years I have been calling that farm I have considered the spot a throw away as I have never called anything there.

It will still be a first stop location, but with the Oat stubble still on the field and not much snow it needs to be a bit brighter.

No lights on Rifles here and no lights at all until after the first of Jan.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  2. Neighbor Guy

Clouds finally broke and I managed to get back out last night with. Full moon and snow conditions were perfect. Temps were not, it was a balmy -12 to -15* just lovely.

I had scouted a half dozen places that I felt confident in. Most of them were sets I had done in the past, some with 100%success rates.

For whatever reason things just didn’t want to work out last night. One of my public land spots had a truck on it. So that left 5. Went blank on 4/5. The 5th spot pulled a fox, he hit the field on a dead run took two strides, spun on a dime, and bailed. I am not sure what spooked him, but he knew he made a mistake.

No Coyotes called. Didn’t even hear any until almost 2:00am and they were miles away from any farm I have permission on. Just want my night I guess.

3. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like a wild night with the owls.
    I want to go, but I can't get the right wind for the spots I wanna try.
    You ever put a decoy out at night??

4. Neighbor Guy

I have had a lot of success with decoys during the day. I have had mixed success with them at night. The dogs seem to spook some times off the decoy in the dark. It’s likely that the decoy spun at the same time as the fox the other night hit the field. It was so cold that hand calls were froze up after the first spot so I was using the caller.

I have decided that if there is a chance at a spot being more of a fox spot than a coyote spot I will leave the decoy in the bag or disable it so it doesn’t spin.

There is as much over thinking in predators as there is in ducks.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  5. Neighbor Guy

Last night I took advantage of a well timed and unplanned nap. With the full moon only a couple nights away I took a chance and decided to make a couple stands.

High clouds but it was plenty bright.

We spotted several Coyotes out and about while driving. Unfortunately nobody liked the sounds I was trying to sell them. The wind shifted while I was out and I hadn’t planned my route accordingly so I had to go home early.

The most exciting part of the night was losing my bearings and getting distracted in the flat light of the cloudy moon. I missed the field approach and drove my truck right into the ditch. The drifted snow made it all look the same. By the time I got that all sorted out I was worn out and ready to go home and crash.

Insult was seeing another field coyote on said drive home.

Heavy clouds and wind tonight. Not sure if things will break or not. Might be daytime hunting this month.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    derbyacresbob and toby like this.