California Flyway Forum Sponsors

With Shark week coming up, anyone got any close encounter stories with the "Tax Man".

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by tule, Jul 8, 2019.

1. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Lets hear your encounters with the whites off the coast of CA!!

2. circlehooker

circlehooker Elite Refuge Member

With 50 years of fishing on the ocean I have yet to ever see one. I just hope I'm on my boat when I do and not in the water.

tule likes this.
  3. tule

tule Elite Refuge Member

Wow, thats crazy you havnt seen one in that time!! Ive only seen the dorsal of one outside the kelp line of Pleasure Point while surfing with a buddy. Would like to see one from a boat though!!

Gomer likes this.
  4. Gomer

Gomer Elite Refuge Member

Spent a fair bit of time on the ocean and have yet to see one. I hope I do get an encounter before I hang it up.

I’ve heard a couple good, verified stories already thos season. They’re out there.

5. DesertMallards

DesertMallards Senior Refuge Member

Just with Juvies (6-8ft). They are commonly spotted outside of a lineup I frequent in the Summer Months (Trestles in San Clemente).
    A few Novembers back I had a seal beach itself on the reef. I got out. A woman lost her leg last year down the beach from there.

tule likes this.
  6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

More than once I've been fishing in the surf and seen one in the breakers. We're talking right in front of the surfers. I always assumed the surfers knew the sharks were there. Usually the seals and dolphins cruise by outside the surf line.

tule likes this.
  7. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

got up close and personal with one while rock fishing out of Monterey last year. Bigger one--at least 15' (personally think somewhere between 16-17'). Circled the boat twice checking us out and then vanished. Was in pretty dirty water. One of the guys i was with on that trip went back over the 4th of July weekend and filmed one with his drone relatively close to where we saw that last one. They seem to be fairly "common" around Monterey over the last 5 years or so from what i have heard/read.

tule likes this.
  8. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

I hate shark week at my house. Some times mamma can just be plain mean or crazy or both!

Jabird likes this.
  9. yellowlabhunter

yellowlabhunter Senior Refuge Member

Not me, but my older brother. He has been Abalone diving for 45 years on the Sonoma coast. He lives in Gualala presently. He was diving about 20 years ago....alone. He usually goes mostly alone, unless friends are up. He was in a cove, no Sea lions anywhere....he had a few Abs in possession with his float tube. He was preparing to dive again....all of the sudden he was "slammed out of the water, *** over tea kettle, mask flew off and out of breath ". He swallowed a good mouth of water, he surfaced to look around to see a swell move away and dorsal fin. He saw the tip, but couldn't determine size....he said it lasted the whole incident a quick few seconds. He swam with his tube quickly to the shore and was done for the day. Since that incident, never seen one again or before said incident. But they are there....Hell, he's dove thousands of times in those Sonoma/Mendocino waters and one time he's seen, been a part of. Yes scary at the time, but very small percentage.

tule likes this.
  10. dwhauss

dwhauss Senior Refuge Member

Tigers, bulls, silkies, hammerheads, whalers, galapagos, reef, seven gill, leopard,,,,,, more than I can remember. IN the water not on top, but 50 yrs in norcal waters countless dives with fish on my belt usually alone , never seen the gray one.
    I know they've seen me, just never introduced themselves. Lots of friends have, lost 1 friend to them and a couple more have been hit.
    Some real good stories, the best ones are when they don't bite.

tule likes this.