Withdrawals or F.its?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by goosenazi, Feb 17, 2018.

1. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I agree those were some huge hurdles that took years to achieve with the help expert opinions not a biologist.

But what irks me is that the opinion of one biologist using old data concludes we can’t have hunting inline with the other states when science proves hunters can have the choice of harvesting two hen mallards or two black ducks or hunting early teal for sixteen days, or three geese per day especially when he has expert opinions and observations that say the biologist’s idea is wrong.

2. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

2 hens, longer teal season, horicon zone elimination, statewide opener, and I think 3 geese where all brought up on the questionnaire I received. Hope a they get passed. State is making progress slowly. I don't want to speak for most but I can't imagine many hunters in the state get the opportunity to harvest multiple black ducks on a hunt. Habit improvement on public lands in this state would do wonders too for holding and raising ducks.

3. SB2MAG

This year like the last fifteen years I saw hundreds of black ducks. I saw many after duck season closed on Lake Michigan but during the season there was about 75 to 100 in one flock hanging out with about a 1000 mallards.

I only saw two canvasbacks this year and they both got shot. Maybe canvasbacks should be limited to one per day? Not. :sp

I can’t imagine many hunters getting the chance to harvest six Scoters in a day in WI but if you choose you can.

goosenazi, woodiefanatic and pud123 like this.
  4. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

We could set up for them next year and do a sea duck beat down. I know how you love scoter for the frying pan.

5. woodiefanatic

Opposite over here on the west side. There's days out here you could shoot 6 cans pretty easy. Same out in Dakota this year. Tons of cans on the potholes. I do plan on hunting the bay this fall. Try and nock a few fish ducks off my list and hunt a new area. Maybe I'll get lucky and finally get a black duck.

6. SB2MAG

Way back, when I lived 2 blocks from the Mississippi we’d always get a couple black ducks towards the end of the season even when it was only 30 days and canvasbacks were closed. You could almost call them calendar Ducks.

7. woodiefanatic

I know guys shoot them. I've seen them just never gotten the chance to pull the trigger on one yet.

8. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

What's really crazy is how myself and a few buddies
    I was thinking the same thing? What does a guy do with such a nasty duck? Takes an angle grinder to clean one..

9. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

I hunted 40+ days this year and saw less than 20 blacks all year. 7 years ago I shot 10 in 1 season. So I guess it varies.

10. owendog

owendog Refuge Member