Wolves v. dogs

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by spaightlabs, Oct 13, 2016.

1. owendog

owendog Refuge Member

https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/3513.htm

This is a good read on the subject, coming from the first Biologist that worked on it in Wisconsin. I am not a wolf lover by all means, but I have an understanding that there has to be balance for a healthy ecosystem.

I deer hunted for 15 years in the Jackson County area, and have witnessed first hand what the wolf and black bear population has done to the deer population. I miss the days of seeing 20-25 deer a day on average, to now being lucky to see that in a season.

What is right?

I don't know.

And, many experts agree, that the wolf population needs to be managed.

The feds didn't release wolves. Please educate yourself.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

SSS...:tu

3. road kill

road kill Senior Refuge Member

I think unlimited doe tags have done more damage to the white tail population than wolves.

That's just my opinion.

take'm and lax like this.
  4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I agree:tu

5. icebreaker12

icebreaker12 Elite Refuge Member

Ugh.... there is no such thing as a quiet wolf release. None.

Look how things happened in Yellowstone, or New Mexico, or Colorado.

I have heard tons of stories of wolves, cougars, and bears being released in places under the cover of night, or being dropped in by black helicopter. Plain and simple, it does not happen.

6. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

This side of the river is the same!

I have deer hunting friends that blame wolves that don't even have wolves in the region they hunt :confused::scratch

7. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

I would also agree.

8. john1984

john1984 New Member

The following is from a guy that was deer hunting in Jackson county this October.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:01 am
    Last nights report. Took my wife out with me. We packed up after dark and headed back to the truck. We stopped for a minute so I could check my gps and while doing so. The woods erupted with running footsteps. I'm use to that kind of thing so I never said anything. After about 30 seconds the noise started to break apart and circle us. So I looked up at her and told her I think these are wolves. She said "oh my god RYAN." We were circled by 6 wolves and they were whining so loud with anticipation. It was getting serious. So I pulled out the .45 and told her to keep her light up. All the wolves were within 40 yards. So After about 4 minutes or so I got them to run off. No shots were fired but it woke us up quick. They did follow us for a little bit but eventually we stopped hearing them. She handled it like a champ and I am sooo proud of her. It was a scary situation to be in and most cannot comprehend that kind of feeling.
    It was kinda funny when we got back to the truck. I told her I left my gloves out there and told her to wait cause I'm going back to get them lol! She said the heck you are!!"......