Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Wood ducks let’s see ‘em!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by Killducks.com, Sep 17, 2019.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

With all the bands I have, none of them came off a woodie and mathematically I stood a better chance to get one. At least locally.

2. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Refuge Member

Yes that is odd... but I can say KY is serious about monitoring wood duck numbers. Thousands are banded statewide starting in late July to early Sept. and statistically far more than TN efforts. I have taken 4 TN bands from Barkley but none were wood ducks.

3. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

i have seen more Mo. woodduck bands than Ky.. 1Ky, 3Mo. 15 or so from TN.

4. Killducks.com

Depends on location I guess... as for me 18 woods ducks 17 from KY and 1 from IL. Seen maybe 10 more killed all KY except 1 IN. Also another note all mine are early season birds. Another note is a few of mine were banded up to 4 years prior in KY and killed here too. May not mean much to some folks but it is interesting

Gander View likes this.
  5. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

0921110820.JPG

The Flying Duckman likes this.
  6. Fowler267

2012 was my best year for bands. I killed one at Ballard, One on Reelfoot and one on the last day of big duck at 2 in the afternoon on a creek with a 10 ga SxS...

I haven't claimed one since. On the above picture its my hand but I didn't get any of the bands. We killed 8 birds last year on the opener and never looked for bands as they are rare on Ky Lake. Found two when we started cleaning so we let the bandless guys flip for them. Guy on the right has killed boatloads of ducks with nary a band to show for it.

2018_09150029.JPG

The Flying Duckman likes this.
  7. Fowler267

It seems to me that they have stepped up their efforts in the last few years. They seem to always band at Barkley and Ballard but they have spread out to new areas lately. I'm impressed!

8. Killducks.com

Fowler... I hear ya. As for the picture with the guy and his first band, I know exactly where that came from! Not kill location but banding site. The numbers on the band closely compare to my last season jewelry. PM me if you want more info

9. Fowler267

It was banded on Ky Lake from what I have heard from the old retired Biologists son.. The info said it was banded closer to where we were.

It should be the same people who band on Duck Island, The Murray KDFWR depot.

10. The Flying Duckman

The Flying Duckman Refuge Member