Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Working? Staying home? Doing nothing?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, May 20, 2020.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

This very conversation has come up a few times within my company. My boss has trust issues so only some people, if any may be offered that. I work 10-12 hours a day. I’m on the list of people that would be working from home. I’ve worked for him for 12 years. I put out quality work. It’s visible, it’s tangible and it’s able to be tracked. I wouldn’t mind it at all.

BigSkyDuk and stevena198301 like this.
  2. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Yep....I think many people have realized it's viable because of the shutdown.

3. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I posted this on the 1st page of "the price of crude" thread a few months ago. Sounds like much of it is ringing true.

4. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

For sure. A lot of the “temporary layoffs” and “furloughs” are already turning into “we decided that function is unnecessary” and “your job is gone”.

5. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

It sounds like what happened to my son. 51 years old so won't be easy to find something quick. Good thing unemployment goes for a while.

6. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I suspect unemployment will get alot worse before it turns a corner.

7. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

I'm the maintenance guy at a Juvenille hall. Kind of hard for me to work from home. I'm still working so I guess I'm important.
    Now maybe this China virus will be an excuse to get rid of the dead weight.

8. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Lots of folks now making more not working than when they were working. I was retired before the virus, and I'm still retired. :l

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Discipline and routine is definitely required. I have the same routine as I had before I left for the office. Get up. Feed the dog. Have a cup of coffee. Shower. Go to work.

But rather than driving the 30 minutes to work, I sit down in my home office and start my day. My hours are somewhat flexible. I just need to let my boss know if I have errands to run or that I’m shutting down early for the day. I’m grateful for the opportunities I have today.

BigSkyDuk likes this.
  10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Routine is definitely required for most of us. Early on I realized also that I needed to dress the same working from home as I would from the office (suits weren't required in that office). It was years before I could sit at my desk in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and actually get work done. Then along came video conferences, and I had to at least keep a collared shirt handy for the calls.