Worlds largest goose needs help

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by hunting1, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

If you figure anything out send me a message please. I am crazy busy but will do a little digging this weekend.

2. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member

3. Timber

Timber Senior Refuge Member

Just a name correction so they find the the right person. It's Rick Hahne

4. Truman

Truman Senior Refuge Member

Gabbi Jo's in Mendon is also a great place to grab a bite. I think the artist used to go by Action Jackson. Can't mention Maxie without mentioning B&G at the Honey Hole!

5. drakenuts

drakenuts Senior Refuge Member

When I was a knee-high kid back in Swan Lake's goose glory days I can remember going to the shed for the blind draw, then after the draw heading to a place I remember being called the Honey Hut for breakfast before heading to the blind. I may not be remembering correctly, it was years ago, but it seemed like it was a building that looked like a 2 story house with tables in every room of the house on level 1. Goose hunters filled up every table in the building in every room laughing and carrying on before the hunt and the breakfast food was above top notch. I was in awe of the spectacle. I was also in awe of the freight train sound coming off the refuge as the sun rose every morning. It was the loudest rush of wind and noise I had ever heard besides sitting near a railroad track watching a train pass by very close. When I asked my dad "what is that?" he would smile and look at me and say "geese!" I couldn't fathom the thought that a constant loud ringing noise, not singular honk could be heard, and rush of wind that loud was a collective body of hundreds of thousands of geese resituating on the refuge over and over. Like the noise of a tornado I believe, you can't really explain it or believe it, until you actually heard it.
    Those days are LOONNNGG gone. They quit producing bulk agriculture on the refuge and quit feeding geese corn on the refuge bank "for banding purposes" and the migration and places of safety for them shifted very quickly, unbelievably quick.

6. hunting1

hunting1 Elite Refuge Member

7. hunting1

hunting1 Elite Refuge Member

My bad. Thanks Timber

Timber likes this.
  8. Timber

Word is, they have raised the needed funds. I'm not positive, but that's the rumor

hunting1 and Truman like this.
  9. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

Stop by Cooters and get a liver cheese sandwich…or other deli meats.

10. Timber

Did they change the name at Cooney's, or did the dreaded spell check get ya?