Worst duck call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Aunt Betty, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

As both calls were previously mentioned by Cooksey, the D2 was my first duck call and the DR 85, was my second but the first I could handle. I had an original DC in the early 90’s but it didn’t run as effortlessly as the 85 seemed to. The D2 was possibly the best, but it took a little more knowledge than what I had at that time(no adults around who duck hunted). With better knowledge of the D2 and possibly a little improv, it’s ahead of the others.
    I learned how to run a goose flute, with an A50. Anybody who knows anything about an old A50 knows it prolly ain’t the best entry level for a kid but it’s all there was outside the competition scene. I got to go to Davis hunting club(McClure/Wolf Lake IL.) and I met another kid my age and he had a Mick Lacy flute. Unbelievable how user friendly it was compared to the learning curve of the A50. That said, with maturity and improv, the A50 was much better.

2. Geek

Geek Refuge Member

I am not trying to bash BG, but his teal call is awful. Maybe I got a lemon, IDK? But I threw it away.:(:(

3. Rainem

Rainem Senior Refuge Member

I have 2 one 25 years old and another 10 years old. Both get duck killed every season. Definitely a time and place to use them, but they work. They can be turned to sound better.

4. Desertcj

Desertcj Senior Refuge Member

I have one on my lanyard. Seems fine to me but honestly, a whistle seems more effective from what I've seen...

Sunklands likes this.
  5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I’ll say this with confidence, a mallard drake whistle, teal whistle and drake gray duck call have lent me more birds than any other type calling. Subtle alot of times is the key. Very windy days are more forgiving for the hail call. Modest quacks from a single reed, keyhole cut down is alot of times the most racket I’ll make.

6. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Faulk C-100 “flat quack” will turn a gray so fast it will make your head spin