Worst sounding duck call that you have ever blown?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Out of focus, Jul 31, 2020.

1. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

Had an Echo XLT that had a worn out reed and 4 yr old cork in it. Not sure why I never changed it but that thing sounded baddd.

2. lockingblock

lockingblock Senior Refuge Member

Blasphemy...but here goes.

a Dixie cutter...horrible plastic rattling sound.

a Dixie Mallard...so bad.

a Timbre that locks up constantly.

several cut downs from DJ that are just flat.

3. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Worst one I had was a echo in cocobola I cant remember which model it was... it stuck all the time and didnt like the sound of it at all

4. Florida Cracker

Florida Cracker Refuge Member

Poor calling is most usually the fault of the unskilled caller and/or an improperly tuned call.

Timber likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If a call (single reed) sounded "flat, etc.," try turning the reed over as maybe the reed was installed wrong? I know after reading on here years ago that after I replaced corks that sometimes my calls sound "bad" turned the reed over & WOW it was alot better. Something about plastic reeds have a natural bend?

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

If you started out on a roll, you'd have a bend, too.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  7. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Direct from the maker, a Darkwing Custom Call. This came right after he made a huge showing in one of the premier calling contests. Placed an order and waited. After a couple weeks to a month or more decided to see what progress had been made. Very bad service and got the feeling it was a hassle for him to respond. I dont know if he was in a hurry or had so many to make but it was no doubt the worst sounding and shoddiest workmanship I've ever seen in a new call. Back of the cork notch looked like it was cut with a hacksaw blade. Needless to say, he'll never see another dime of my money.
    Secondhand...unfortunately, too damn many to count. It's amazing how many people think they can improve upon a call makers design by taking an emory file to the toneboard. I've gotten more calls in trades that "just didnt fit my style" only to find out afterwards they (the person I got the call from) altered the toneboard. Learned my lesson the hard way direct from Butch to not mess with a calls toneboard. Send it to the maker and have them make it right. A good one will be able to, or if they cant will make you a replacement one.

8. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I can count the amount of calls Ive either purchased or traded for on here and the book of face on both hands and both feet, twice over,that were "altered".

9. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Have killed sooooo many birds with an Iverson.

10. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

Actual Cutdowns ——- those with the narrow, hard rubber tonal plug are a different animal. They have zero back pressure and are a different animal and each one is different. The old mold used to tonal plugs for Olt Keyholes and these DJ calls was never replaced. They just kept building it up. Thus each tonal plug is different but when you get a good one, they are special if that is your cup of tea. There is a lot more to it.