Would you hunt pheasants with Bo Jackson?

num70

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Had he remained uninjured I believe that he would be in both halls and widely considered the best 2-sport athlete ever.
There's a story told by (I think) Paul Nix, who was Auburn's head baseball coach, that Pat Dye came into his office before the first day of baseball practice and said something to the effect of "you ready to coach the best athlete to ever live"? I mean...that's Pat Dye saying that. Nix was basically of the "okay...whatever...we'll see" mindset. Jackson took batting practice on the first day didn't leave a single pitch in the ballpark. He hit 3 balls further than had ever been hit out of that stadium.
I don't believe there'll be another in my lifetime.
(That said, you can't compare records due to longevity, but I'll still say Sanders was a better overall back. But had Bo had 10 seasons...who knows?)

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The final bid was $30k.

letmwurk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Had he remained uninjured I believe that he would be in both halls and widely considered the best 2-sport athlete ever.
There's a story told by (I think) Paul Nix, who was Auburn's head baseball coach, that Pat Dye came into his office before the first day of baseball practice and said something to the effect of "you ready to coach the best athlete to ever live"? I mean...that's Pat Dye saying that. Nix was basically of the "okay...whatever...we'll see" mindset. Jackson took batting practice on the first day didn't leave a single pitch in the ballpark. He hit 3 balls further than had ever been hit out of that stadium.
I don't believe there'll be another in my lifetime.
(That said, you can't compare records due to longevity, but I'll still say Sanders was a better overall back. But had Bo had 10 seasons...who knows?)
IMO he was the best athlete in the past half century at least. The only other guy you might be able to argue would be Deion Sanders. Jordan was the best basketball player ever IMO and he couldn't even make it out of double A.

ragin-cajun

Reaction score
he hit .250 MLB. dedicating himself to baseball let's say head raised his lifetime avg to .275. that ain't HOF #s, unless he's a catcher?
I'd hunt or fish w/ him all day long

Bclick

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Played for the Raiders too! I'd hunt w/him & get an autograph football (I'm sure for a price) Fork BB-wasn't he a Chicago White Sox, too?
My uncle used to guide for him at a place on the WI IL border. Walter Payton, Urlacher too. Said they were all great dudes especially Bo. If its the same club its top notch. You wouldnt beleive it exists that close to the interstate.

Last edited:

Dorkweed

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Years ago; when Bo lived in Burr Ridge, IL, he used to frequent the CBH bowhunters property for their "shoots" in Bolingbrook, IL!!!!!!! Met him there once after the ownership told the crowd to "Hit the course or leave.".

Anyhow; I took my time packing up, and as I walked by Bo...............I said, "Bo, I loved watching you play." He said, "Thank You." Told him good luck on the course...........and he wished me the same.

He was still in his prime then.......................I'm a hard 5'11" 180.............he was 6'0 and twice as wide as me...................230lbs.........................all ***, thighs, and shoulders.......................a specimen...............

Wonderful, humble man though.....................

Last edited:

Sasquatch Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dad (Big Bammer Nation Fan) fished with Pat Dye, Coach Oliver at his farm and met Bo and said he Bo was a really class / good guy.

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bo is/was a phenom. Id hunt with him in a second. The only other man I can think of that would compare to him in sheer natural athletic ability would be Jim Thorpe.