Decoy Forum Sponsors

Wrapping Line Around the Decoy Body

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Tailfeathers, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Many of the old guys used to wrap the decoy line around the body of the decoy. I have gone to that method. Keel wrapping I found to be a PIA. I like that body wrapping is fast and easy to wrap the body upon retrieval. I use a “rubber band” made from a bicycle inner tube, or a woman’s big thick hair rubber band to secure the weight to the decoys neck for storage. Setting up, I especially like that I can drop the weight in the water and let the line pay out all by itself, the weight pulling the line of the body real neat like, in a couple of seconds.

I also have zig zagged the line back and forth between the tail and neck, across the body, but that doesn’t allow for real quick line paying out action.
    Just some thoughts.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think this will be an epic thread.
    Good idea.
    images.png
    What would I know tho? :l

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If you hold the decoy by the head and wiggle, it should pay out almost as fast.

I wrap between the neck and tail on my carved birds but I don't do walk in hunts with them. I've done the same with plastic decoys in a bulk bag on a walk in hunt, once. What a tangled cluster that was. Maybe there is a trick to packing them in that I don't know about? For single rigged birds in deeper water from a boat? Body wrapping can't be beat.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

We have tried every way imaginable to.wrap decoys. Around the body, over the back,around the keel. Just depends on the type of decoy and how much.line we need to.hunt with. We have some rugged with crab pot line and they never get wrapped. I will say this,there ought to be an Olympic event in the decoy picking up.category, we would surely enter.

5. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Figure 8 my homemade cork set, and some herter 72's. I am not too burdened because I use no more than two dozen dekes, more bring diminishing returns and needless work- I hunt smaller protected marsh, and shalliw water so my lines are short. I use the inexpensive and pliable pvc line which does not cut or harm the surface or paint.

DANNY NEWELL likes this.
  6. Aunt Betty

I just toss em into the boat.
    Wrapping is something inner city black youths do.
    16266089731753615365244218876205.jpg

DANNY NEWELL likes this.
  7. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I’ve never found a pair of gloves to keep my hands warm enough to wrap decoy strings up. So I mostly dump deeks in the bottom of the boat.

I Texas rig mine with sliding weights and store on a carabiners. Tangled decoys get left behind at the camp until a nice afternoon that’s warm enough to drink beer and sort out.

I make and keep plenty of spare decoy lines and weights. It’s also easier for me to cut some tangled lines and restring with new than to fight a backlashes mess.

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Nearly all of mine are Texas rigged. The bag was the worst and slowest part of the decoy experience. Several places I hunt I keep 6-9 decoys stashed. They’re Texas rigged but I do slide them in an old decoy bag and pull them up a tree over limb, in case the water rises alot.

9. Aunt Betty

Great point.
    My hands suffer terrible pain if I let them get cold so I don't. My entire system of decoy rigging and storage is to prevent getting my hands wet or cold. It's a big deal to me. I'm old.
    I've tried every way including the store bought Texas rigs with two loops. That's very good and inspired my decision to do what I do.
    If anyone wants race me at deploying and picking up a spread I'll put $50 and a gallon of honey in the prize pot. Competition to be held on my turf. BlackBeardFlag_1288_1000x.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Everyone has their favorite method of wrapping decoy lines. Over the years I've found that my preferred method is just wrapping the line around the neck. This works because all my decoy lines are short; four feet long or less. I've found that doing it this way helps keep the lines from unwrapping in the bags without resorting to clips or rubber bands to keep the mushroom weights secure.