California Flyway Forum Sponsors

WTB Woodies

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by JRS, Sep 13, 2019.

1. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I’m interested in buying 12-18 wood duck decoys, in the Sac area. Let me know what you got.

JeffRoderick likes this.
  2. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

I just love this time of year. Fine tuning spreads for specific situations. Getting ready for what greatness is to come this season... Its a beautiful time of year. Kill em all JRS!!

3. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Not a chance. Just a quick one day thing. I really adore the wood ducks!

Flyfisher likes this.
  4. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

I adore them too.. you would be surprised at the results of hunting pressure here in NV on changing regs on wood duck limits from year to year and how it effects populations.....

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

3171BD52-4697-422B-9803-77C663E65F3B.png
    I have a pretty good handle on it after 20 + years. (I’m sure you know where this is from).
    20 + years of maintaining boxes too.

JuvieCoot and Flyfisher like this.
  6. pumpgunner

pumpgunner Elite Refuge Member

Just from my boxes and from what I’ve seen, they had a good breeding season at least around sac refuge.

Used for one Hunt is always the best, but check our Rogers, they have some pretty goood deals on woody dekes

Flyfisher likes this.
  7. SPOONKILR

SPOONKILR Elite Refuge Member

I do not have any decoys for sale but I do have a question for you? I have killed my fair share of woodies and I have never really ever used more than 2-8 decoys? Do you notice a difference with more decoys?? I have killed probably 50 or more over 2 woody dekes on a jerk string. For those guys that get them do more decoys seem to help where you hunt them> Just curious! sorry for the high jack! BW

JRS likes this.
  8. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

Can't say much on decoy numbers. In my experience:
    #1 The spot,..#2 A good snap shooters response, and... #3 An open choke that somehow avoids shooting the trees.

Mitch

JRS likes this.
  9. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

I’d say you’re right on. About 10-15 years ago, the last time I actually hunted them, I used 1/2 dozen dekes. I just figured someone may have a dozen or more laying around and it would be fun to use a “big” spread. I could just use any old decoys too, I know that works. Doing it with woodie dekes just makes it more fun.

creedsduckman, Flyfisher and Swampy like this.
  10. DUCKSPY

DUCKSPY New Member

WAS IN CONTROLL OF THEE WOOD DUCK BLIND ON BUTTE CREEK FOR TEN YEARS......
    IF YOU HAVE A LOT OF TRAFFIC LIKE THIS BLIND HAD THE MORE DECOYS THE BETTER.......
    I USED 4 DZ WOODIES,2 DZ GREENWINGS,AND A DZ MALLARDS AND THIS BLIND WOULD SHOOT 1000 BIRDS A YEAR,AS IT WAS IN A 8 BLIND ROTATION CLUB,WITH OPENING DAY WATER AND A 7 DAY AWEEK SHOOTER....HUNTED ALMOST EVERY DAY AND MOST OF THE BIRDS WERE WOODIES........STANDUP BLIND ON THE BEND OF BUTTE CREEK ....BIRDS WERE ON YOU,LIKE FLYS ON S--- ....... I THINK ITS A MERLO DAY SHOOTER NOW............

SO I WOULD SAY THE MORE WOOD DUCK DECOYS,THE BETTER........
    I STILL USE THOSE DECOYS IN MY RICE FIELD BLIND IN A LITTLE POD OFF TO THE SIDE OF THE BIG SPREAD, AS I GET A FEW WOODIES EACH YEAR.........

THAT BAND ON THAT WOODY LOOKED ALOT LIKE THE BANDS WE GOT OFF THE WOODYS WE SHOT ALONG THE CARSON RIVER NEAR FALLON NEVADA LAST YEAR.........

.............................AS ALWAYS YOUR FRIEND..........DUCKSPY...................