California Flyway Forum Sponsors

yardage for killin

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Jul 15, 2020.

1. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

Many of the birds I have shot and killed in the 40 to 50 yard range, I missed them on the first shot and then doubled my lead and killed them on the second shot. A few times I have tripled the lead in front of the bird and killed it on the third shot. LOL

Your shot has slowed way down at 40 to 50 yards away. If you need at 4 foot lead at 25 yards away, on that same target or bird at 50 yards away you would probable need a 12 ft to 15 ft lead to hit it.

2. Bigshot75

Bigshot75 Elite Refuge Member

Hell, I’m not even sure my pattern is starting to open up at 40 let alone 50 yards? I do know it’s harder to kill em close than it is far though!

3. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

A lot of it depends on the habitat you hunt. 40 yards in a tule patch is a long ways. Cripple a green head and then try to find him in a maze of tules is a beotch!

But break a wing on a bird at 50 yards on sheet water that’s 12” deep and it’s an easy retrieve.

Mallards at 20 yards are awesome but not always available to everyone all the ti.

skinnyspoonie likes this.
  4. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

I like a lot, like them close, a little time on a pattern board can be a eye opener for some, with different choke/load combo's, if you've never patterned your gun, it might be a surprise,... time well spent.

Dan Mallia likes this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Yep a Bird 40 yds out and 30 yds up is not a potential target but those who continue going to the plug will never learn I guess !
    There's no reason to worry about how many inches wide your pattern is , when you're missing by feet , I suppose ?

6. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

True.

Hard enough for most to understand forty yards, not alone what is 12 feet in front of the target. And if folks are coming up on a target and trying to put 8-10-12 feet on it, good luck with that. What that means, is that the shooter doesn't have total focus on the bird.....measuring. One becomes a better shooter when they understand how to look at the bird.....keeping their eye on the bird, resulting in better shooting. Ever wonder why you see 14-16-18 yr old kids in cyssa or sporting clay teams just tear it up? They just look at the bird.

Someone mentioned knowing their skill level, thus won't take a shot past 25. Great advice. Another made mention that getting a mallard at 20 isn't always available. Sure, understand. But I will add, a lot of those times may be the result of the shooter never waiting...trying for it. Always come up at 40, 20 will never happen.

Not every shot at 30 or in is a good shot. Its ok to pass, and continue to work the bird. And if the bird slips out, smile and learn something from it. I've learned more from what birds didn't do then what they did do.

Shotguns and ammo can out perform most duckers out there. Get on the range, work on the game....in specifics. Some shooters are just naturally gifted, speaking for myself.....I need to work at it.

freefall likes this.
  7. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Sustained lead shooting is the only option for long gunning with any consistency. If you’re trying to swing through from behind you’ll never connect. Butt, belly, beak, boom doesn’t work at forty plus. Not for me anyway. My swing starts in front of the bird and stays there...the target is completely peripheral.

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy who has a really nice spot to shoot mallards. He is all alone with no pressure nearby whatsoever. The problem is if a bird gets inside 45 or 40 yards he is shooting... Why? I have finally convinced him to bring them in closer and shoot when they are tight. Its taken years and years lol.

freefall likes this.
  9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

This is a good time of year for Hunters to sharpen up their skills , most are working their dogs , painting/flocking decoys and even going out to their hunting
    spots to check out what needs to be done . It would be wise to pack a RangeFinder too , this will give you a mental picture of the distances of your surroundings !
    In some places we hunt out in the open with few trees or just open water , it would be helpful to take along a spinner/WonderDuck and stake it out at 30 / 40 or
    even 50 yds to give you that mental picture of a shot you should or shouldn't take ! The Sporting Clays course will sharpen your skills of making these shots but
    more importantly , make you aware of very low percentage shots , you shouldn't take ! We have a responsibility to enjoy the outdoors of waterfowling , it's
    those Hail Mary shots that's not much fun for the birds that suffer afterwards !

10. chubby

chubby Elite Refuge Member