California Flyway Forum Sponsors

yardage for killin

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

:tu If you can't hit a clay at 40, don't shoot at ducks at 40.

freefall likes this.
  2. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

One reason why when going to the range, practice on shots within 40...more like 35 or within. When shooting tournaments, a win or loss is not determined by hitting the hard...distance...edgy shots. Its won or loss by hitting everything within 35 and that you should hit. I see folks grinding on that long, fast, or loopy shot while time would be better spent being able to run 20-20 on a certain target. I understand folks may want to go and shoot a round with their friends. Got it. I'm talking about working on ones game, ducks in this discussion, to give one the confidence and best chance to ensure they bag those birds that should be bagged.

freefall likes this.
  3. blackdog58

Agree, maintained....or otherwise called sustained, is a higher percentage technique on that type of target. You had me nodding, up until you said the target is in your peripheral vision. Sure Mike, your'e hitting them. Works for you, great. I would tell one though, keeping the eye on the target gives one the ability to really connect in terms of vision and feel....being able to match barrel speed-target speed. Peripheral, or shooting the gap doesn't give one as good of a chance to connect, feel a decrease or increase of speed or the line. Especially for a guy like you (experience), your subconscious will make you aware of the barrel position. Shooters that shoot with a high awareness of the barrel, shoot the gap, will certainly hit birds....field or clays. But when locked on the target, the percentage is higher....much.

Ravenanme likes this.
  4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Good points Blackdog and with some knowledge of Sustained lead and seeing/feeling the line of flight , success will come more times than not !
    The big question for all Wingshots is , How far is it ? Knowing a target is inside of 40 yds there's less to compensate for , it's when the wind is blowing
    and birds are just outside the decoys is when some exaggeration comes into play . One has to keep in mind , that shot cloud has slowed down over 50%
    past 40 yds .

5. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Guess my point is you can’t look at a bead and simultaneously look at a bird when they’re that far apart. One or the other isn’t in your direct line of sight. I need to focus way more on having my gun mounted without tilting to make that shot. I know where the bird is...it’s the rib I need to keep level and my head I need to keep down on the gun. When I miss it’s not because I lost the bird, it’s because I lost proper mechanics.

Ducks are way easier than clays.

Bigshot75 likes this.
  6. EL GURU

EL GURU Senior Refuge Member

40 yards... no problem :cool:

40 in the marsh always seems like 80.

40 in the rice is not a bad pass.

40 yards overhead... all day, anywhere.

With that being said. I try to finish them when they’re at the 40 yard point.

7. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Clays generally don't change direction or. Velocity.

Shooting ducks is a 4 dimensional game. You have the x y. And z axis,plus time. I find it much easier to hit a quartering bird at 40 than a straight overhead or crosser. Perceived can be significantly different when the angles change. Practice makes perfect.playwith Claus at 15 to 20ys,and once you master all the shots there movebacl 5 yds and do it all over again. Once you get out to where you can't hit 4 of 6cocsisremtly. You are done.thstisbeypnd where you ethically should be shooting.

Downwind likes this.
  8. blackdog58

Agree about mechanics. Shoulders, particularly feet problems to avoid. If one is eyeing the bird, and not aware of the barrel thats a heck of a lead. You're shooting the gap. Its working for you, cool. I'll bet if you'd try just staying on the bird, you just may feel something else. Bead? No need for a bead if its a good gun fit. Anyhow......difference about shooting clays vs ducks, one knows how the clay is gonna fly. Not so much with ducks. Another thing clays vs ducks. No third shots on a clay. Drop a clay first shot, loss. 3rd shot on a duck can make one a hero.

9. blackdog58

Hit four of six?? Thats 66%, two thirds. Nah, I want better than that. Don't stay in the box until you hit 66%. Don't stay in the box until you figure it out. Stay in the box until you can't get it wrong.

Clays absoloutely change in directions and velocities. They all slow down. Depending on the speed and angle, the line changes various degrees. And when you see a battue, you'll see different flight characteristics. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice, gets one closer to perfect.

freefall likes this.
  10. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Can’t argue with that. I’m the self proclaimed king of third shot doubles. First shot stands em up and the next two are lay-ups.

Post Script: That was a terrible analogy. I couldn’t make a lay-up if my life depended on it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Ratdaddy likes this.