California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Yolo partial closure today-hailcall tulegoose

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by deltahunter, Sep 12, 2019.

1. deltahunter

deltahunter Senior Refuge Member

IMG_3831.JPG Was at yolo this evening and noticed everything north of H and F is posted closed to hunting. This is a new closure as I was there earlier in the week and it was open. Now the gate to lot H is locked as is the gate over the foot bridge in lot F and it's all posted. What prompted the closure? This part of yolo has always been open during the early dove season. What has changed. Joe Hobbs can you tell us why the closure. Denying access to a substantial part of the area doesn't seem right during the middle of dove season.

2. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Just a guess but a few days ago they were harvesting rice on the refuge. Maybe it’s still going with lots of traffic on those roads?

3. deltahunter

Possible I suppose but it's never been an issue in the past. I spoke with someone that works there and have a pretty good idea of the reason but wanted to give tulegoose a chance to explain first. It won't make anyone happy.

4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Following......

5. tulegoose

tulegoose Senior Refuge Member

Will see if I can address this briefly. There is a combination of things, we have a situation where people were accessing the space blinds areas and flying drones. Currently the lids are off many of the blinds to finish drying them out so there is a minor safety concern there. In addition we are flooding some of the ponds for early season ducks and will try to trap pintails in a little bit and want to limit the disturbance. If dove hunting was red hot and we were getting a lot of use I would have pulled my people off other tasks to repost and only close a portion of that area. But since there are a very small number of dove and dove hunters utilizing the area and we have a lot of other areas still open to dove hunting I closed the gates and posted it. We are still scrambling to catch up with habitat work from the late water so instead of burning staff time to repost I made that call. Is it a perfect solution, nope it is not. Will it be done differently in the future, most likely it will. I am all about access for hunters and I do not believe this stopped anyone from being able to hunt. Yes, it did affect some people on where they wanted to hunt but not the ability to hunt. After the dove opener, there are few people that hunt doves so there are lots of spots with no one else utilizing them. I do apologize that it impacted you and hope you were able to find another area to find some doves. This will be on my radar for next year and can get in front of it instead of reacting to the situation. Again, I apologize for anyone that was inconvenienced.

Thanks

Joe

dwhauss, JRS, Ryan and 9 others like this.
  6. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

dudes are flying drones for their next vid

7. FeeferClown

FeeferClown New Member

Drones are allowed on Wildlife refuges?

8. Flyfisher

See post #5.. :l

9. Flyfisher

and the vids should be out shortly.... from the same dudes that did the last one with the baby seat:l:l

10. deltahunter

I had heard that the drones and the video guys were a major part of the reason. I guess trying to stop that activity. Is there any regulation concerning the use of drones on a state wildlife area? If so then how about enforcing it. If not and it's needed let's change the regs to make it happen. If access is being denied in an attempt to curb drone use how is that fair to the hunters using the area. While I agree there isn't much use or many doves up on that end of the area I don't like seeing access denied in the middle of the season.

callinfowl likes this.