You can run your house on it

rhpierce

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This statement makes no sense to me.
Manufacturers make way stronger better vehicles (4wd) than are sold here.
Manufacturers are restricted by safety and emissions regulations, among others.

I’ve been saying for YEARS if done rich investors got together to make a proper no frills strong truck they could own the market.
I wish there had been no bailout or I’m certain better vehicles would have been made.
Companies would have sprung forth from the ashes line rising phoenixes but alas we said too big to fail give to the people only what we let them have.

Imagine smart engineers getting together building a no frills very strong v8 truck without electronics just made strong with balls etc.
It’d own the market almost immediately.
Give it stock steel tube bumpers steel body on frame over built. No frills reliable power plants. Strong tranny.
Maybe not ultralight aluminum bodied ten speed turbo variable valve timing automated 4wd etc.
Just build a good truck everyone would buy it.
Can’t be done because govt bs regs.
F this socialusm we have!
It will never happen.

Corporations figured out that building a product too well is a death sentence. You build a refrigerator that lasts 30 years, you sold one, maybe two, to a household. Make it last ten years, and now you've sold four to six. Same for washing machines, phones, power tools, mowers, etc.

Build a reliable, no-frills truck with a price to match, and you might do ok for a while, until the, "well...I really wanted power windows" or, "hey, I can't bluetooth my phone in to talk hands free", or, "how come I can't remote start this" starts. And if a guy can have one for 20 years, you have to make the price reflect that reliability since you are in the spiral of limiting your sales.

I'll also say this...a lot of people say they want a no-frills truck, but they really don't. We are more addicted than we realize to the gadgets and comforts.

cootmeurer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It will never happen.

Corporations figured out that building a product too well is a death sentence. You build a refrigerator that lasts 30 years, you sold one, maybe two, to a household. Make it last ten years, and now you've sold four to six. Same for washing machines, phones, power tools, mowers, etc.

Build a reliable, no-frills truck with a price to match, and you might do ok for a while, until the, "well...I really wanted power windows" or, "hey, I can't bluetooth my phone in to talk hands free", or, "how come I can't remote start this" starts. And if a guy can have one for 20 years, you have to make the price reflect that reliability since you are in the spiral of limiting your sales.

I'll also say this...a lot of people say they want a no-frills truck, but they really don't. We are more addicted than we realize to the gadgets and comforts.
Yes, I had a buddy that went to work for an automaker as a destructive engineer or some such title. His job was to take a component and see how many cycles until it failed. For example, he was talking about brakes, and they determined that the company made brakes that lasted 80,000 cycles (or something like that) but it only took 40,000 cycles to reach the 3 year/36K mile warranty. Therefore their report was sent to the brakes people that cheapened up the brakes so they only lasted 45,000 cycles.

You’re also right about bells and whistles. Brother has an awesome 77 square body diesel Chevy. Great farm truck, but he decided to drive it on a long round trip vacation. Said never again, because he likes AC, something other than AM/FM radio, and no cruise controls.

Reactions: API

Fogie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It will never happen.

I’m talking with a resto-mod shop owner customer of mine, trying to work out a deal….a four door International Travelette pickup done right, simple but modern drivetrain and not super pretty in exchange for my brand new Powerwagon which has too much tech going on.

lax

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know it isn't a Chevy, but if it was the body would be gone by now.
84 F250.JPG

I can buy a lot of gas for 20-60K.

tomturkey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of you guys running down Ford. If the government had not bailed out Government Motors and Crysler what would you be driving? Either a FORD or some foreign-made vehicle.

Ford did not make the citizens of the US keep them from going under!!!

tcc

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I get a kick out of you guys running down Ford. If the government had not bailed out Government Motors and Crysler what would you be driving? Either a FORD or some foreign-made vehicle.

I'm pretty sure I just read somewhere the other day that they're still paying back the money they were loaned by us US citizens...

pintail2222

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

Ford took the largest financial bailout. It was Ford Finance - not Ford Automotive.

Ford took $15.9 Billion from the Federal Government of Bush's bailout. GMs financial branch took $13.9 Billion.

And they only paid back the interest on the loan - not the principal.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2010/12/report-ford-took-federal-funds-too/

Ruination

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ford took the largest financial bailout. It was Ford Finance - not Ford Automotive.

Ford took $15.9 Billion from the Federal Government of Bush's bailout. GMs financial branch took $13.9 Billion.

And they only paid back the interest on the loan - not the principal.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2010/12/report-ford-took-federal-funds-too/

"The GM and Chrysler loans were completely separate from those two companies’ government-financed bankruptcies."

There's the important part.

Latest posts