Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Young and Old Scull Boat Hunters

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sculler72, Mar 15, 2020.

1. sculler72

sculler72 Refuge Member

First I'm what You call a New B. Thank you for letting me share about this wonderful sport of Sculling and Decoying. I have been on and off the Water Hunting ducks for 57 yr.
    Started my hunting at 15, tagging along in my Gpa's back pocket at around 8 yrs old.
    I'm now 72, Decoying a little more then out of my scull. But when I scull it becomes a great day.
    I'm hoping Here I get to touch bases with those whom love to hunt & Fish as I.
    I'm finding in our younger generation the great, great sport of hunting is losing ground.
    Sculling is really the thing of the past as many whom try and think how easy it is find its an art that takes much time. Days and Days and weeks without killing a bird. But when that first bird falls the love begins. I still remember my first birds killed Spoonies, aka Spoon Bills. If you could see the smile on my face right now. This is why Hunting is the greatest sport for a young man to learn and enjoy.
    As I'm getting older Brant have become my Love of the fowl. Just the way they wing in and the table fare is out standing.
    Don't get me wrong I still love those Duck Hunts, But getting 5 dozen duck and another 3 dozen Canadian Deeks to my place of choice is not easy even with a 4 wheeler and a drag sled the work has gotten pretty exhausting. Oh but when I'm set up I love every second being there from O dark Thirty to Sun Set even with an early Morning limit. Still learning on how bird react to just about everything. slight, medium, hard winds changing directions, the sun, cloudy, stormy conditions, the back drops. I'm 72 and still pick up on the little things I wish I would of known. It all becomes a great Love. So to all of you whom love this grand old sport of hunting it is a love most will never feel in there hearts, So cherish every time You with Buddies, your dog are in the out doors with all that you have.. Those Memories never go away..
    Thank You for letting me share.. Good hunting next fall. Sculler 72 P2260002.JPG

Rainem, JDO, Silver Wings and 6 others like this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sculler,

Welcome the 'Fuge and thanks for your story about how you hunt. You should contact Mene Gene on these forums. He splits time between Oregon and Montana and is a scull boat and scull hunting enthusiast. He has been known to hunt with more than a few folks on this forum.

Tell us more hunting stories if you've got 'em.

3. Miker17

Miker17 Refuge Member

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Sculler, I have gotten your messages. Maybe since you are a new member you cannot read the messages I have sent you. Maybe a moderator can clarify?

5. SCREENER

SCREENER Senior Refuge Member

I too am 72 years old.our system is alittle different in that we scull down on a set of decoys.Market hunting was common in this area ,alas no more.I had 50 years of decoying birds of all species and many many memories of the sun raising on big water and the smell of big water.If one goes to u tube and type in "screening duckhunting" a video shot in in the early 60"s with a super 8 camera 200yds on shore will show the number of birds decoying almost every morning during the entire season.P.S if one did not call in 200 birds in a morning it was a poor morning or they did not like your decoys.all the decoys used in screening have to be wood because plastic will not hold the birds in the decoys to allow time to scull the 200 yds off the shore.There are no more Screeners in my area.I am the last,and I am no more.

API likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Has nothing to do with being new.

Mack270 likes this.
  7. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Screener, I bought a call from you 15 years ago. You would be pleased to know that I have called hundreds of ducks for myself and my friends since. Thank you for keeping it real.

8. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

You need to get a up to date video done of one of your hunt next season.

9. sculler72

sculler72 Refuge Member

Hi Screener
    Here on the west coast we still do the same thing or at least a couple of us do. It really works well for Brant But we can only scull on Wednesdays Saturdays and Sundays the rest is decoying from the shore. that is in Humboldt Bay. Here in Oregon we can Scull 7 days a week and I dont lay out off my decoys as much as i used too. I like yourdelf have killed so many birds the passion has turned to look for the rare Birds and it becomes much more challenging. Those European Widgeon which we have quite a few of Ill shoot for our local Taxidermist in trade. Then when I get lucky and get a hybred or two they drool over so it works out. then on my way home Ill kill a couple sprig or a Mallard or two for dinner. I still do my days when I get hair to go out and kill just the limit I want which are Mallard and Sprig unless I find a couple red heads.
    We get the thousands of birds but not in one or more huge flocks like your talking but we get numbers scattered and have great shoots. The Geese are so plentiful its just never an issue if you want a limit of Canadians. They were planted here in the late 80's and have went wild with the numbers and now have an early and late season to keep the numbers down and with that it doesn't do a damn bit of good as there number a so huge.
    I know what you mean getting on the Bay and seeing that sun rise and go down and the smell of that Ocean breeze is pretty unforgettable and all that we have seen and done in our lifetime. I enjoy just being part of it all even if the day comes where I don't hunt I'll still find a way to be part of it. I just can not sit and find myself keeping as busy as I can. I have had a lot of surgeries but wont quit. I don't go as much as I used to by any means but i go as much as i can and when i get out there it just enhances me to go more.
    I too don't hunt the early birds and wait till we get a few more birds from up north piling in here and they are full plumed nice and fat and the few young folks usually give up by the middle of November. Our season here runs till the end of January. So Ill fish for Chinook Salmon and a Stripper or two then hit it hard as I want from then on. i travel to Humboldt bay to shoot a few Brant a few times a yr.
    Still Buck hunt and had to give up the Bow hunting for Elk but still go with the Kid and Call for him, so keeping a busy as possible.
    if your able you should carry on as long as possible and enjoy the feeling you still have.
    Well sir nice chatting with you and hope you get out next season and if so good hunting to you.. Good luck Take Care Sculler72
    The Gentleman on my right is Ol Bud and just turned 93 and I cant keep him out of my Boat. GetAttachment[2].jpg

10. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

I’m old, maybe not as old as you but I do qualify for AARP. Got to go on my first scull boat hunt this past year and it was intoxicating (and a little suffocating having 2 in the boat).

Amazing how close we could get and actually choose birds to target. Ended the day with a Wigeon slam and a harlequin - how could I not be excited about that
    780AFDF5-1266-4D12-B2F6-DFB6A11904E1.jpeg

Ratdaddy likes this.