Your chance to let them know your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Jan 11, 2021.

1. slough hunter

slough hunter Refuge Member

So what your saying is shooting at teal will move birds but shooting geese over water doesn't. Its not like there is zero disturbance before waterfowl opener. I am all for just trying it. If it is deemed to have a negative impact get rid of it. Why increase opportunity for goose hunters but not duck hunters. If there was scientific data pointing towards negative impacts on teal I would be against it but being that we can have a season without it being detrimental to populations why not give the three year experimental season a try.

2. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

The best goose hunting during the early season is once the molts come down. There are a TON of geese that get shot every year in the early season that are not resident geese.

snowgooseman likes this.
  3. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

The fellas over on the wi forum that stack em up on opener and early in the regular season would disagree with you.

4. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Well I'm willing to be wrong. I am glad they are trying to involve hunters! We'll see how much weight these surveys even carry anyway.

5. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I'm all for the teal season. The birds that are displaced during that time will still have time to relocate. I'm also all for simplifying some regs...like spinners...use them or lose them. I don't care either way. All season statewide use or ban...one or the other.
    I don't like afternoon hunting, which they mention, and IMO, they should end shooting hours for waterfowl at 12 or 1pm on every piece of land/water they can. WMA's and WPA's, UMRNWR.

I'm pretty much indifferent on the cranes and geese...as I don't hunt either. But, if the avid goose hunters are for eliminating over water hunting early, then do it.

Mainly, i'll be very [email protected]@ed if we don't get a full teal season!! The reason we haven't us complete BS...and everyone knows it.

6. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

So what do you say to the guy that cant hunt mornings his work schedule just cant support him in that . He gets maybe one day every other weekend he could hunt mornings so he counts on being able to go out later . The season is short enough don't need to find ways of cutting even more of it out IMO .

7. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

I would say “your never going to make everyone happy. Enjoy the days you do get”

When MN first chose not to do the 16day early teal season it was because the Feds told them they would have to cut 16 off their 60. I believe that is different now and it would be an additional 16day early season.

That said, the last couple years you could have cut 25 days off the season and it would not have effected anyone north of I90 as we have been froze up by early November the last couple years on all but very big water.

I would be curious how a 16day early teal season would effect the youth only weekend? Would they then eliminate that weekend or would it move? They would be pushing it all the way to labor day weekend if they try to move it.

8. Bullet21XD

That was not the reason at all. It was "suggested" by the prior DNR commissioner that we have "enough opportunity" in Mn and don't need to participate. There was no logical reason to pass on it.

9. Bullet21XD

That person can hunt somewhere else that stays open all day.

10. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Good answer