Your thoughts….

kruschpa

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I would go foamers Herters, Myers, style for the divers no hole repairs required
G&H supermag divers roll alot when the wind is strong
G&H for the mallards and geese or Bigfoots for the geese but I think the G&H geese hold up better
Buy direct from G&H
G&H had coupon codes earlier this summer on they're Instagram page like 15-20% off
Best quality/durable decoys and US made

Neighbor Guy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My thoughts…..

If your buying plastic then they are all the same. Foam filled is a good idea especially if you or your hunting partner rake the decoys from time to time which is inevitable. I lean tangle free for that.

However if this is an investment, and your hunting out of a boat, then I would suggest cork. Nothing rides the water like a diver better than hand carved cork or cedar birds.

bluebill77

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
For the divers, I'd suggest Herters Model 72 'Ultimate Armor' or 'Millennium'...if you can find them. I'd stick with the four dozen Bluebills. Although their numbers are dwindling, still the most common diver and even though limits are more restrictive nowadays, you still want a decent number in your 'flock' to attract them. I wouldn't worry too much about adding Redheads unless they are very common in your area. In my experience, they are the dumbest diver and will attract to your Bluebills and Cans. Also, again, unless they are abundant in your area, I'd suggest you can get by with less then a dozen Goldeneyes. They are definitely attracted to their kind, but I'd suggest you can probably be fine with a half dozen. As far as the dozen Cans, again...you can probably get by with half-dozen unless you see lots of them in your area. They will decoy to Bluebills too, so just add a few to spice up your spread.
So, if your 'Financial Advisor' will let you splurge on an additional 6, I'd suggest 4 dozen BB and half-dozen each of Cans and Goldeneyes and maybe that extra 6 of Redheads.
As far as other brands, I have used the Higdon foam filled...standard, magnum & Battleship in puddle duck decoys and the paint has held up well. Avian X Teal have held up well too.

bb77

tencan

Refuge Member
Reaction score
My financial advisor has given me the green light to buy a new decoy spread.
I want to buy 5 dz diver, 5 dz mallards and 4-5 dz goose floaters.
What’s your thoughts on the diver decoys? Standard, magnum or super magnum? I’m thinking four dz Bluebill and 1 dz canvasback?
What brand do you recommend? I’m looking at the Flambeau Gunning Series or G&H.
If I went with standard size divers I could probably get 6-7 dz.
Recommendation on where to buy the decoys?
I have a Nxt Gen layout boat and a DW boat.
Thoughts or suggestions?

tencan

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I would go foamers Herters, Myers, style for the divers no hole repairs required
G&H supermag divers roll alot when the wind is strong
G&H for the mallards and geese or Bigfoots for the geese but I think the G&H geese hold up better
Buy direct from G&H
G&H had coupon codes earlier this summer on they're Instagram page like 15-20% off
Best quality/durable decoys and US made
Can go wrong with G&H for puddlers or divers. Take a beating and the paint holds up well