Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Youth Hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 7, 2020.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Really liked watching this video. Nice to see the parents taking the kids out.

My boys are long past the youth hunts, but those were some of my all time favorite hunts. I have a grandson that will be going on his first junior hunt this year. Can't wait!

These kids had a great shoot.

Mort, SKDuckhunt, widgeon and 4 others like this.
  2. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

I got to see something like that last season with my 9 year old and the Coot 0B9AF569-EACF-4112-B0B0-9BC609E7AE45.png

Mort, MJ and magnumyammerhammer like this.
  3. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I’ve kicked rocks in that parking lot a time or two. Glad your boy had a great time there, looks like an awesome experience and good on @JuvieCoot for guiding you guys.

SKDuckhunt and JuvieCoot like this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

One of our top shooters at the club is a junior. I took him for his first duck hunt over decoys last year. He just asked me couple of weeks ago if I was able to take him again this year. My answer was, "Of course!"
    Youth Ducks 2.jpg

Clam, Mort, SKDuckhunt and 6 others like this.
  5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Couple memorable mornings with you and Mason so far. Many more to come

6. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

As a veteran, I can now hunt on “youth day”. Do you think it’s ok to for me to join them? Can’t decide.

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

First off, you earned it.

Yea, I would say go. Make it about the kids, but bring the gun.

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Taking my boy years ago for youth would mean about 800 miles on my truck in 2 days. :tu Goose hunt a field in the morning 90 minutes from the house, shoot his limit. Drive about 3 hrs to shoot his limit of ducks in the afternoon. Drive home. Repeat the next day.

9. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

Call me selfish, but I took the opposite approach. I have two boys, 21, and 29. I did everything with them from soccer to pay for college. What I didn't do was duck hunt; that is my solace. Everyone needs a place to go and get away from everything. This is my place. Selfish? yeah. Sane? yeah because of it.

10. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

Yes, you are selfish.
    You missed the part where your son and you spend quality time together and are a team. It pays off when you have established a bond that can’t be matched in very other manners I can think of.
    I guarantee when my 10 year old can drive he and his buddies or his cousins will be pounding the refuges like I did. The difference will be my son won’t have the learning curve that I had because he got to stand on my shoulders and learn from a very early age how to do it the right way.
    Then once they have found the X they will wind up bringing me just like I did for them...

Ruination likes this.