Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Youth Hunt

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

I absolutely believe that if our duck hunting heritage is to continue, that we all have to get as many kids involved in this sport as possible. One of my hunting partners for over 30 years just passed away this year. His two sons have been hunting with us since they were about 5 years old, now in their twenties. For the last two years, they have been taking my two oldest grandsons on the youth hunt. They are great stewards of the sport and are passing along the tradition. Here is a photo of them and their dad a long time ago. 98.JPG

Here is a photo of one of them in the last couple of years with the oldest grandson. I had a photo of all four of them with a bunch of geese....but misplaced it.
    634.jpg

JFG, Ratdaddy, igo4dux75 and 3 others like this.
  2. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Some of my greatest memories in life that I will take to my grave have been spent with my daughters hunting or fishing. Yes there are other things we do together but for me nothing tops those days out hunting and fishing together. I guess that is my way of being selfish!

Refugeguy and Ratdaddy like this.
  3. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I see nothing wrong with that. Your kids don't need to be part of everything.

4. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

My youngest shot his first duck and first goose on the regular opener this year - no youth day needed. :tu

5. Dr Duk

Dr Duk Elite Refuge Member

Great to get my dog on her first hunt! 7D3ECAF6-B8F7-4987-8A35-EC03D2DDD37D.jpeg

6. hillbilly

hillbilly New Member

50180-01.jpeg sorry late to the show Minnesota didn't have it's youth till mid September. I am very passionate about getting the youth out. Kenneth who turns 15 this year is just as seasoned as most mid 20 year olds. Still needs some schooling from time to time but he hasn't had the first shot in 3 years. Lilly on right turns 11 this year has been in the blind with Kenneth and I since she was 3. Bought her first shotgun when she was 6 but didn't shoot her first duck till following year on youthday. I haven't pushed her as hard as I had with her brother towards shooting. So I let her come into on her own but still have her every first opportunity to have first crack even if she turned it down. She's shooting my full size 410 and shoots it well for a 10 year old. But I started to push a little harder to move her up to the 28g and she was reluctant so with more of a push I said shoot 2 shells and we'll call it a day. She busted both Clays and the smile gave me my answer. She went home and reloaded her own shells that night and shot a full round of skeet with us and shot an 11. And then a 9 at 5 stand. Then Sophia my step daughter who is 9 fired her first 2 shells last year. She has never been around or involved with anything like this. But we've done a few days at the range late summer getting her ready. She and her mother are girly girls (not knocking girls but you all know what I mean). But she'll come down to the reloading room and load shells with me. I bought her own waders and camo this year and let her use Lilly's first gun. She hit one but needed back up. And she hasn't stopped bragging about that day since. Anyone that will listen actually she doesn't care if they listen she's telling them anyhow.