Youth shotgun thoughts and considerations?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 870, Sep 1, 2019.

1. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Actually some of the guns have adjustable stocks allowing the gun to grow as the kids grow and also allow for a longer barrell if the come with a short youth barrel. One of my daughters who is petite still choots the 1187 youth 20 and the other daughter who is 5' 9" confiscated my sbe2 after trying it and only choots her initial 1187 20ga for deer hunting.

2. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

My son started with a Tristar youth 20ga semi at 9 my daughter used the same gun at age 10. There is 8yrs difference in age between them, I think the gun was around 350$ New they used One shell at a time and worked they way up after I approved of how they handled the gun etc. Semi autos are going to kick way less than a pump or a single shot. Both shot the gun for 3 yrs before upgrading to a 12ga. There isn't a lot of difference in kick between a 3 inch duck load and a heavy dove load in 2 3/4 this according to my daughter who at the time was a pretty small 10 year old when she first started shooting. Good luck I hope you find one

3. NannySlayer

NannySlayer New Member

I just bought my daughter a Remington 1100 28 gauge. It is full size but when she gets old enough to be able to use it... 6 or 7, I will put a sacrificial stock on it to chop down. Benelli and Beretta both make new guns in 28 but they are not going to be cheep. If you do go this route, think of it as not just a starter gun, but something they can grow into and continue to use.