Youth Stoeger O/U 20 ga. pros & cons // left eye dominant

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by backwaterwoody, Nov 14, 2009.

1. backwaterwoody

backwaterwoody Refuge Member

Here's a little back ground, My son is 8 yrs old, right handed , left eye dominant ,though he does everything right handed even shoot his compound bow right handed & also he can shoot his bb & pellet gun either right or left. I have been looking at the Stoeger youth o/u 20 ga model and I think that would be a sweet gun.
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. Diver Dan

Diver Dan Elite Refuge Member

My son is 12 and he saved his money and bought one before season last year. His is a sided by side, same gun though. He used it all last season and so far this year and he loves it. Havent had any problems with it and he shoots it pretty good. He is also a lefty. I think it is a good starter gun in 20 ga.

3. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

I have 2 friends who are right handed but shoot left. They do everything right handed including played baseball. Both are good to excellent shots. Starting him out left is the right thing to do.

I had a 16ga. Stoeger. I thought it was a decent gun for the money. Only reason I got rid of it was I was always reloading when I needed to be shooting.

Sometimes, a 20ga. O/U can kick like a mule. My great Uncle had a Marlin. Anything over a trap load and it hurt as many people who tried it can attest.

4. Hoytman

Hoytman Elite Refuge Member

Buy any gun you wish, but do me a favor...

...and your son an even bigger favor...

...if he's left eye dominant make him learn to shoot everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) left handed. By doing him this favor, it will allow him to shoot EVERYTHING with both eyes being OPEN and make him a better shot, without ever squinting an eye.

I shoot slingshots, blowguns, bows, and shotguns and rifles (scoped and unscoped) using my dominant left eye while BOTH eyes are OPEN.

By doing this, shooting the dominant eye thus allowing shooting to be done with both eyes open, your son during a long shooting session...his shooting eye (the one that's open) will hardly ever get tired from straining to see while squinting/closing the other eye.

I know many people, who after shooting many years with their non-dominant eye, make the comments that they shoot better than ever after switching to the dominant eye side.

Those are my thoughts...you asked!

5. ryemnh

ryemnh Senior Refuge Member

I started my son out with a Stoeger 20 O/U. I was a great starter gun for the price. He loved it, but the only drawback was reloading it in the tank blinds we hunt in. It took him a while to get the hang of that. He used it for two years and this year moved to a M1 12.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

O/U's can be shot right or left handed, unless there is cast to the stock.. The cast can be changed by a competent gun smith though...

As an eye doc who is left-eye dominant and shoots right handed... Teach him to shoot left handed now! Do not let him switch back and forth until he gets used to it... Have him shoot left handed, and stick with it... He will be a better shot, and more consistent....

7. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I checked my son for eye dominance before he had his first toy weapon and have always encouraged him to shoulder everything to the left as well as shoot pool, even though he batted, threw, etc. right-handed.

By the time he was shooting his Red Rider, he was naturally shouldering left-handed.

It all paid off when he was 12 and I got him his first shotgun, a Beretta 391.

I flipped the stock shim, switched the safety, bought a flat of shells, and in 3 boxes he was hitting crossers at station 4 on the skeet range high and low house 22 straight.

Eye dominance followed by fit have to be #1 and #2 for success in wing shooting.

Good luck,

3drahthaars