Youth Waterfowl Weekend

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

I stayed away from the fields and water today to allow for the youth to have the best chance. Spend the morning on the deck instead.

Sadly, no boats at the landing. A scan with the binos showed no kids hunting in any of the blinds I have found. No decoy spreads either. My small “lake” had no shooting or hunting.

I did hear one 3-shot volley about 10:30am. But that was it.

Anyone else?

2. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Heard shooting from the lake and assumed it was youth day hunters as it started about 10 minutes early. Geese weren’t moving that early to be early goose hunters.

I would like to know if the youth seasons do anything other than make some people feel all nice and fuzzy.

3. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Opportunity to shoot a few birds and have a good time with your kids. What is wrong with that.

No way does it pressure birds or change their habits, too few people out there ...

4. musher

Nothing wrong with it. Just want to know if it has actually done what it was intended to do which was hunter recruitment.

If anyone is truly interested in taking kids hunting they should do it more than 1 day a year.

Rogue Hunter likes this.
  5. prairie hunter

Most do take kids hunting more than once per year (at least there own).

The DNR promotes hunter recruitment because they eye future licenses sales.

I take a slightly different approach. If these kids that get a couple chances at waterfowl, a deer or a turkey through a sponsored hunt learn that hunting is a respectable, honest, conservation minded (fill in what you want here) activity ... just maybe they will be more tolerant of conservation and hunting issues in the future.

These kids are all future voters and we all know that 80% - 90% of the public is in between ... not hunters and not PETA either. Prefer they lean to supporting conservation and hunting...

Duckslayer100 likes this.
  6. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Senior Refuge Member

Due to custody agreements and the like, my daughter has done one youth hunt several years ago. It’s still one of her most memorable hunts even though she never fired a shot.

We do an annual trip the first week of October targeting ducks. I am hoping to build the tradition so that it may last for years. But kids grow up and high school and college have different strains in kids time. My with any luck, eventually she will begin coming out on that hunt on her own. If not. It will be a lonely duck blind. As it was before she was old enough to come along.

7. musher

814876B2-7CC2-4621-9105-1D8FEDA987A1.jpeg Agree with you prairie hunter. Just I would find any follow through information interesting.

In this picture, which happened to be taken on youth day this year, is a kid I took on a youth hunt several years ago. He’s on the right with his daughter. My son is on the left with two of his sons. Pretty sure my son would have been a waterfowl hunter but his friends family didn’t hunt. At least once a year we still hunt ducks or geese together. Did the youth hunt bring him into waterfowl hunting? Not sure but I would have taken him or another kid hunting any day of the season

And for those selfish pricks that don’t want a kid to interfere with a hunt ....you already suck at hunting!!

With some patience you can still get birds. Tuck them into the blind, keep them warm, fed and ear protection on and they’ll have a great time

MJ1657 likes this.
  8. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Sadly, I feel redeemed in all of the prior YWD arguments that occurred here over the years, as the proof is in the license sales, which are still falling. You want more hunters, and more funds for ducks?

1. Target non-hunting ADULTS for recruitment. They have the money.

2. Create rotating rest areas out of state WMAs and other state lands. WMAs with a blue sign can only be hunted on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays. WMAs with red signs can only be hunted Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, etc. Creates rotating in-state rest areas that will help hold ducks longer - which creates more "action" for those who hunt.

3. Pay to play. I'm still baffled as to why we charge 1 price for all when it comes to hunting licenses. 1 state duck stamp gets you 1 possession limit worth of tags. Want to shoot more ducks? Buy another tag. 80% of the ducks are shot by 20% of the hunters because the 20% has the free time to hunt nearly non stop. Why should I drag my kids out of bed at 3 am to go hunt stale ground that has been incessantly pounded by guys that (basically) have hunting as their job 24/7? The vast majority of folks say "no thanks - I will take the kids to the mall".

4. Create more hunting opportunities within 1/2 hour of the metro. Minnesota Valley NWR is a prime example. Allow near daily hunting by those who have purchased licenses for, say, three years or less.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head........

Rogue Hunter likes this.
  9. prairie hunter

Who besides the DNR wants more licenses sales ??

I do not believe license sales have reached the bottom quite yet and maybe that is a good thing (at least in MN).

That is why it is important to keep the non-hunting public at least tolerant of hunting. Based on all the reality shows these days that seems to be the case.

GK1 likes this.