Youth Waterfowl Weekend

Discussion in 'Minnesota Flyway Forum' started by Neighbor Guy, Sep 11, 2021.

1. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

You know darn well the old grey hairs will say it drove hundreds of thousands of teal out of the state. They will also be furious the 4pm closing is gone. They will then tell stories about how great Christina was in the 50's. Lol.

2. Neighbor Guy

Neighbor Guy Elite Refuge Member

Hard to say it messed up the opener when there was no participation.

3. RingbillRon

RingbillRon Refuge Member

It is always someone else's fault. That is the problem with this state/country.

woodiefanatic likes this.
  4. megasupermagnum

megasupermagnum Senior Refuge Member

Maybe Central MN just drew the short stick. That's what it looked like to me last time I came through, hardly any ducks.

My brother in south-central MN called, and talked me into an early goose hunt. There wasn't a ton of people, but I heard shooting in all directions. He didn't do much scouting with his work schedule, but knew where they loafed in town, and the direction they fly in. It only took the second spot of scouting to locate a good number of birds. We got in plenty of shooting for geese, and there must have been 500 ducks on that slough of a number of species. There was still plenty of GWT, BWT, wood ducks, and mallards around. Judging by the tracks and trash, that slough was hunted plenty for the teal weekend.

There's no doubt the youth duck season isn't popular. My question is, why does it matter? If only 300 kids in the entire state hunt it, why is that any reason to shut it down? It doesn't effect you, or me, or the regular season. Some of you may see it as the lazy dad's weekend. Maybe it is for some. I see it as an opportunity to bring a kid out without the drama that comes with public land. I know I don't want to bring a kid out on opener weekend to a lot of lakes. Duck hunting is so competitive as it is, I would never take a kid out duck hunting as their first ever trip, unless it was the youth weekend. Once they had a year in, then I'd take them out for the regular season.

DGL likes this.
  5. Beaverpond

Beaverpond New Member

[QUOTE="megasupermagnum, post: 11804188, member: 81533”] I know I don't want to bring a kid out on opener weekend to a lot of lakes. Duck hunting is so competitive as it is, I would never take a kid out duck hunting as their first ever trip, unless it was the youth weekend. Once they had a year in, then I'd take them out for the regular season.[/QUOTE]

No, actually you’re lazy for not wanting to take your little kid out in some bottomless swamp on the busiest weekend of the year. Only terrible dads want to take their children hunting when you don’t have to wake them up at 3am to secure a spot. It’s lazy to want to take your kids hunting when it’s not freezing cold outside.

Your laziness and your kid are ruining my 15 minutes of opening morning shooting! How am I supposed to luck into shooting randomly flying ducks if they’re behaving like it’s duck season already!

/sarcasm. Obviously.

6. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I doubt the youth hunt really does much for Minnesota ducks leaving . Sure I guess it drives some out but the bottom line is Minnesota habitat sucks for ducks and the youth hunt would not even be an issue if it was good. I can shoot a limit in an hour in south dakota at 10am but in Minnesota unless people are out pushing them good luck. I thought the so called drought may help but i was up in sauk centre last weekend and the sloughs were as deep as ever. Saw no indication of a drought. They looked like big round holes with no food. These were places I hunted in the 90's that were great looking sloughs with food and had lots of ducks. I saw two ducks on all of them. Until Minnesota gets a major ten year drought these sloughs will remain mud holes and the ducks just wont stay. So yeah I guess kidding rid of the youth hunt may keep a few thousand teal around for awhile but without good sloughs does it ever matter.

7. Ronno

Ronno Senior Refuge Member

I had the same reaction when I went out to Big Stone and Western Swift County in early August. With all the talk of the "major drought" I was concerned I wasn't going to find any water. Pfffffft, I didn't notice any water level decrease in 90% of the basins. It would take multiple years of drought to impact those sloughs. And that was before it started raining again. Many of those areas got 6+" of rain in late August and early September. And agreed on the mud hole comment. They need to dry out completely to reset.