Zebra Mussels - Lake Sharpe

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Zane, Jul 16, 2019.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Never once have I cut a line or noticed damage I could attribute to zebs. But I don't drag live bait rigs on the bottom of the lake, and we hardly have any areas where there is larger rocky structure. individual rocks will be covered, I can snap some pictures this weekend of what the shallows around our dock looks like; any golfball sized stone will have near complete zeb coverage. Our lake is sand/gravel & mud bottom. The zebs do like to attach to large coontail weeds; i'll often see them with the weeds when I foul up pulling a bottom bouncer.

2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Yeah some of the lakes I've seen they got so thick on they start using sand then each other after that....at least for the those first few peak years before they die back. Never bottom fish those lakes though so have never seen first hand how they are on line.

3. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Dean...they will cut line very easily if using bottom contact techniques.

Also, they can alter weed growth. They will attach and mature on weed stalks, after time weight the weed down and killing it.

I don't really see much of a problem with them, but I also don't swim in lakes or walk barefoot down the shoreline. The "threat" is certainly exaggerated.

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

first picture is in about 2 foot of water, 10 feet off our shoreline. You can see some of the larger stones are completely covered with zebs, but smaller ones aren't.
    zebs2.JPG

Here's our shoreline. Even when the water is low and we have "beach" there is rarely shells like you hear about piling up.
    zebs4.JPG

This is off the end of our dock; roughly 3.5 feet deep, individual stones are covered with zebs.
    zebs1.JPG

this area just off the shoreline doesn't get zebs; I suspect because of the constant friction from waves.
    zebs3.JPG

Dean Nelson and BB-Shot like this.