ZEN RAY Optics, hands down best buy in binoculars

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by California Flyway, Jul 14, 2009.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Someone stole my old, favorite binoculars out of my boat.
    After a lot of research I bought a pair of 8x43 binoculars made by ZEN RAY Optics. They are unbelievably good and only cost me $369. I have held them up against Leica's and Swarve's and they are close enough that it is scary. My buddies cannot believe how good they are for 1/3 the price. The clarity all the way to the edge of the field of view is excellent as is the color transmission. These blow the Nikons, Leupold, and other mid price optics off the table.
    They are even about to come up with an improved lens manufacturing process for only $50 bucks more than the current models. The current models are plenty good in my opinion.

I am appreciating this new glass so much that actually glad my old binoculars are gone.
    If you are looking for some new glass for this hunting season I highly recommend you check them out.

They currently only make binocs and spotting scopes. If they move into making hunting scopes and reliability reports are good I will take a hard look at those as well.

2. jzaferis

jzaferis Senior Refuge Member

China....not in my house and not for use with my eyes. YMMV

3. California Flyway

As part of my research I checked a number of Forums that focus on binoculars, spotting, and rifle scopes. A fellow who posts under Vichris posted the review below. I can say that mine have provided that kind of performance.

C.B.

"There are several features that really stand out with the ZEN ED's. The wide and almost absolutely flat field of view (FOV) are outstanding.
    Zen Rays specs list the FOV at an amazing 426 ft /1000yds. The image is bright, very sharp, and I saw no indication of chromatic aberration.
    I did a comparison of the edge to edge sharpness with two of the "big three". The ZEN ED compared very well to both. They definitely outperform
    everything I looked at in the $300- $800 range. The optical clarity gives you that feeling that you are where the subject is. That no doubt, is
    due to the flatness of the field. The color rendition, depth of field, and resolution are excellent. Optically the ZEN ED is second to none.

I also want to speak to the VALUE of these optics. I have no hesitation in saying that the Zen Ray ZEN ED are the best value in
    binoculars on the market today. I did do quite a bit of price comparisons and have evaluated lots of binos that are similar in quality.
    Quality wise the ZEN ED's stand out from the competition and come very close to the quality you will find from the "big three".
    That's where the value comes in. For $359 these are tough to beat and they out perform many that are hundreds of $$$ more.
    You will notice that I refuse to mention the competing optics that I did price, quality, and performance comparisons with.
    I prefer not to beat up the other Mfgs but would like to speak to the quality of the ZEN RAY brand.

The optical quality that most of the major optic companies deliver these day is astonishing.
    That the ZEN ED stands out from many of these speaks to the manufacturing and optical quality that these possess. I have
    already seen that a couple of the competing brands have lowered their price and trumpeted their warranty in responds to
    the ZEN RAY brand. This is a good thing, but personally I will choose the better optical quality over warranty every time. Can you buy
    a bino that performs optically better? Yes,............. but you WILL pay at least a $1000 more and the difference is so minimal
    I doubt most will be able to detect it. If you are planning on purchasing a pair of binos in the near future and don't plan on spending
    $1200 + ....................get the Zen Rays. I highly recommend them. They are....... "that" good."

Vichris

4. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

Which model did you get? I too am in the market and am probably going to give Zen-Ray a try based on the reviews and testimonials.

5. California Flyway

I got the 8x43 ED's which I think are the best size for hunting and general use.
    They are about to do a slight upgrade in their mirror coating process, so you may get a good deal on the current model or you can wait and pay a little more for the new model.

6. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member

Look at Alpen Optics!!! They have won lots of awards from Outdoor Life

7. California Flyway

KC,

I read the reviews in Outdoor Life and went ahead and ordered a pair of Alpen 8x42's from binoculars.com.

I sent them back as my old binoculars were as good as those.

8. GWIREHAIR

GWIREHAIR Moderator

I prefer the Bruntons 8x42 wide angle. I think they areright at 300.00. I have Leupolds and Bruntons and really like the Bruntons the best. Sorry, I haven't heard of Zens but our local Sporting Good stores carry several brands including Swarkis, Liecas and such so I can do a side by side comparison. I won't buy without looking at them in my chubby little hands first.

GWIREHAIR