ZTR mower

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Jul 24, 2019.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I've got nothing really bad to say about Bad Boys, but to claim that a $5k residential mower is equivalent to a $10k commercial mower is just nonsense. Doesn't matter what the brand is.

widgeon likes this.
  2. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

Find you a used Kubota diesel with the Pro deck on it. I bought a new ZD-21 in early '05, mow 3 1/2 to 5 acres a week and other than blades, filters and oil, it's only needed one deck belt and one alt. belt. No blade towers or spindles. Just grease it and go. With proper care this mower will last a lifetime.

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That'd be crazy when you can get a $5k Bad Boy that's just as good and has a warranty.

4. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

A warranty with an attitude.:tu[​IMG]

tcc likes this.
  5. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

My bad boy is like the 78 Ford I drove in high school. Every time you turn the key on you wonder what's going to break before you turn the key off again.

6. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Tcc, facts are facts, hustler, gravely,emark,cub cadet, John deere 25 to 30 hp machines are not built any better hyd motor, deck, seat etc than the residential bad boy.

Things that they did do is have add on things like rear bagging, mulching etc. You step up in level in use it's not apples to apples.

Son in law bought a grasshopper 72" deck diesel motor for the multi use option he needed. Bad boy residential doesn't have that.
    I looked hard at the Hustler fasttrackz series( today's model) 9 years ago it is their commercial grade unit. Wheel size front and back same as the bad boy residential in 60" deck. Seat, spring ride, deck lighter gauge, manual deck lift, Onan motor, ba Kaw or Kohler plus smaller hp. Then on to the hydraulic system, Bad Boy individual pumps with cooling fans, more at ground torque. Cooling fan on oil res as well. Grease fittings on wheel spindles, pivot, as well as levers and electric lift for deck. Easy to get at release valve for moving machine if not running as well as adjusting forward and reverse travel to keep your levers equal. I mow a lot with only one hand on straight aways.
    Frame tubing was also heavier gauge as well as the hubs on the deck. $ 3872.00 difference in cost.

Since I wasn't looking for a bagging system or mulch. I couldnt see any reason to buy the commercial Hustler. Similar findings on Gravely and EMark.

So again apples to apples ! I looked at Kubota but didnt price or feature compare decided I didnt need to.
    Travel speed Hustler was faster I think 13 mph vs 10. That was the only thing that was better and with our ground it was a non factor.

Now Hustler Raptors are not commercial grade mowers, and there are mowers made like the Z Series which have different features etc that exceed the BadBoy he is looking at, but lots more money.

7. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

They are built heavy that's for sure, but they will still cause you problems. I know of at least two other people that had bad luck with bad boys and switched to other brands . Same thing as I've had, nickle and dime you to death. They should change the name to Bad Luck

Mine is paid for and with my back troubles and not being able to work I can't justify buying another right now. As soon as feasible I'll have a new Scag Cheetah.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

FWIW, I didn’t mean to cause a pizzing contest...

widgeon likes this.
  9. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Pizz with an attitude!:l:l

riverrat47 likes this.
  10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I have a friend who works for the parks department. They've bought about every mower made and mow every day. he says Skag is the one that just won't wear out.

Mr. Chokesonducks likes this.